October Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've made my own PHP desktop so thought i'd post an updated pic, here

The analog clock is xml based, the next is javascript, the calender is php, the search boxes are just html, as are the links, and i used madmatt's guide to get the program links working.

the only problem is that the calender wont change automatically (the page needs to be refreshed every 24 hours), but im sure i'll work something out :D

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
the only problem is that the calender wont change automatically (the page needs to be refreshed every 24 hours), but im sure i'll work something out :D

I wrote a calendar using JavaScript and all I did was include it within an HTML file and added a refresh tag (to the <head></head>) to make it refresh every 60 minutes.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content = "3600; URL=c:\Program Files\madmatt\Active Desktop\calendar.php">

i thought about using a meta refresh, that'd do the job, but i thought refreshing every hour is un-necessary ... obviously its a method that works, but i was thinking more along the lines of parsing the output of a javascript clock (or other type of clock / timer) and only refreshing if midnight passes.....

well, yes. it is unnecessary, but it does the job. the problem you run into with writing functions using PHP is the page has to maintain a running state in order for it to run those functions.

you could use a if ($time == 12:00) etc. but like I said, the page isn't running constantly on your dtop, just displaying.

that's why I decided to use the meta tag. *shrug*

*roar* nice desktop image. mm. heck of a lot of icons, too. =)

i do like the chick though. she is hard to argue with.

Updated Desktop
Added all the things on the left, the cam pic refreshes every 2 minutes without refreshing the whole page via javascript, it can be clicked to open the fullsize image in a pop-up window, the rest is self explanitory :)

and i took your advice matt, the page as a whole uses a meta refresh tag (1hr 30m) so the calender will update after midnight, or 1:30am at the latest :p

hey SPeedY_B, where did you get that cool clock thats on your desktop ?

It's coded into active desktop ...

in the <head> goes ...
Code:
<xml:namespace ns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" prefix="v" />
<object id="VMLRender" codebase="vgx.dll" classid="CLSID:10072CEC-8CC1-11D1-986E-00A0C955B42E">
</object>
<style>
<!--
v\:* { behavior: url(#VMLRender); }
-->
</style>
<script language="JavaScript1.2">
<!--

//specify clock size in pixels
var clocksize=135

function updatePointers() {
	var now = new Date();

secondsPointer.style.rotation = now.getSeconds() * 6;
	minutesPointer.style.rotation = now.getMinutes() * 6 + now.getSeconds() / 10;
	hoursPointer.style.rotation = now.getHours() * 30  + now.getMinutes() / 2;
}

if (document.all&&window.print){
window.attachEvent("onload", initVMLClock);
window.attachEvent("onresize", resizeObjects);
}

function initVMLClock() {
	resizeObjects();
	updatePointers();
	window.setInterval("updatePointers()", 1000);

}

function resizeObjects() {
	var size = Math.min(clocksize, clocksize);
	clock.style.pixelWidth = size - 2*(size * 0.045);
	clock.style.pixelHeight = size - 2*(size * 0.045);

clock.childNodes.item(0).childNodes.item(0).weight = size * 0.01;

secondsPointer.childNodes.item(0).childNodes.item(0).weight = size * 0.001;
	minutesPointer.childNodes.item(0).childNodes.item(0).weight = size * 0.002;
	hoursPointer.childNodes.item(0).childNodes.item(0).weight = size * 0.004;

}

function toggle(sId) {
	var el = document.getElementById(sId);

el.style.display = (el.style.display == "none") ? "block" : "none";
}

//-->
</script>

And where you want the clock to appear goes...

Code:
<v:group id="clock" coordsize="100 100" style="position: relative;">
	<v:oval style="width: 100%; height: 100%">
		<v:stroke weight="10px" color="gray"/>
		<!-- Remove this tag to get the gradient working
		<v:fill type="gradient" color="white" color2="#eeeeff" angle="225deg"/>
		 -->
	</v:oval>		

<v:group id="secondsPointer" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px;">
		<v:line from="50,50" to="50,5">
			<v:stroke weight="2px" endcap="round" color="navy"/>
		</v:line>
	</v:group>

<v:group id="minutesPointer" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px;">
		<v:line from="50,50" to="50,8">
			<v:stroke weight="4px" endcap="round" color="navy"/>

<v:group id="hoursPointer" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px;">
		<v:line from="50,50" to="50,18">
			<v:stroke weight="7px" endcap="round" color="navy"/>

I've customised mine by using a gradient (i've marked the tag you need to remove to 'activate' the gradient fill) and making it bigger with a custom colour border.

looking pretty good SPeedY_B, looking pretty good indeed

Originally posted by b-man__
so you need active desktop, what about windows blinds ?

you just need active desktop to make speedy's code work. Window Blinds just allows you to apply third party visual styles and themes (along with other useless garbage).

you just need active desktop to make speedy's code work. Window Blinds just allows you to apply third party visual styles and themes (along with other useless garbage).

Edit:you just need active desktop to make speedy's code work. Window Blinds just allows useless garbage
...ahem
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back