Need DVD Driver

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by GMeagle86, Oct 15, 2004.

1. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

Hi,
    I can't find a driver for my DVD drive. It isn't working because I don't think it has the right driver. It isn't a brand name dvd drive, and is a couple of years old(3 I think). Is there a generic driver that would work with it? All the info I have is that it is an IDE 16x DVD-Rom drive. Any ides? Thanks!

2. Kush

Kush High On Life!

head on over to rpc1.org download the disc info utility in the utility page, then post info about the device, u can try upgrading the firmware, go somewhere in the menu and say find firmware it will search and try to find the firmware

3. www.rpc1.org might help get disc info utitility like themafia said

4. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

You mean this?

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.5.5.9
    VENDOR : IDE
    MODEL : DVD-ROM 16X
    REVISION : 3.10
    LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
    NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 255
    BUFFER SIZE : 512KB
    INTERFACE : ATAPI
    RPC2 SCHEME : YES
    USER CHANGES : 4
    VENDOR CHANGES : 4
    CURRENT REGION : 1
    ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
    COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
    DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
    DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
    READ UPC CODE : YES
    MULTISESSION READ : YES
    MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
    MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
    READ ISRC CODE : YES
    READ BAD CODE : NO
    BUFFER UNDER-RUN : NO
    MT. RAINIER : NO
    CAN READ CDR : YES
    CAN READ CDRW : YES
    CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
    CAN WRITE CDR : NO
    CAN WRITE CDRW : NO
    CAN TEST WRITE : NO
    CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
    CAN READ DVD-R : YES
    CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
    CAN READ DVD-RAM : NO
    CAN READ DVD+R : NO
    CAN READ DVD+RW : NO
    CAN WRITE DVD-R : NO
    CAN WRITE DVD-RW : NO
    CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : NO
    CAN WRITE DVD+R : NO
    CAN WRITE DVD+RW : NO
    MAX CDR READ SPEED : 40

5. Kush

Kush High On Life!

opps, yeah thats the program, just click on the find firmware it will open the rpc1.org site, if u cant find the right firmware, take ur drive out and read the info on the stickers, like who the actual manufacturer is and the model number.

6. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

I did download DISC Info version 1.5.5
    and I got that info by telling it to save the data, then opening it in notepad. here is the info it comes up with just on the screen.

Firmware version: 3.10
    DVD-ROM Device
    Drive region status: Lock detected
    Region settings staus: Set
    User Changes left: 4
    Manufactor resets left: 4
    Current region set: 1
    Read speed: 40x

7. Kush

Kush High On Life!

try taking it out of ur pc like i said, and seeing if theres any manufacturer like toshiba msi etc

8. drz01

drz01 Weekend DJ

First of all which OS are you using? Any OS after Win ME does not need a special driver for a DVD rom. Judging from the information from your drive it is working properly. What are you trying to use the DVD for? What you may need is a DVD movie decoder (MPEG2), one is not built into Windows if you have to play movies on the cheep look up Kazaalite kodec pack. It includes a dvd decoder that will work in Windows Media player to play DVD's....

9. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

I am using Windows XP Pro. All I am trying to do is to play a DVD. I have CyberLink PowerDVD but it doesn't recognized my dvd which is in the drive. Even in my computer, after I put in the dvd, and double click on the drive, it says "Please insert a disk in the drive." It will work fine with a CD in the drive, but won't play DVD's.

10. Kush

Kush High On Life!

ok that probably means the laser is dying or needs to be cleaned, try cleaning it, and also upgrading the firmware if u find out what brand and model it really is

11. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Did this problem just begin or did you just get this drive? Also are you running that latest version of powerdvd?

12. Kush

Kush High On Life!

yeah if my computer cant detect ur dvd rom then ur drive is messed up doesnt matter which version of power dvd u have, try cleaning the lens, and updating the firmware

13. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

Any guides on how to clean the lens? The drive did work for a while, I think it stopped working as a DVD drive, when I had to reformat my computer once, and then start over. I don't ever think the correct drivers were reinstalled and I can't find the CD or where they would be stored at. The Computer was build by a manufacturer, and I think it is just an generic dvd drive. I will open the case and look at who made it just to be sure when I have time.

14. if it can read CDs but no DVDs try updating the firmware i have a friend who had the same problem in a way but with a CD writer, he could only burn cds but not read them i updated his frimware and voila it was working great

15. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

You don't need drivers for a DVD in XP. They are built in.

With the power off
    - Disconnect the IDE and power cables to the DVD.
    - Boot the computer and once windows is up shut down.
    - Reconnect the cables to the DVD.
    - Reboot
    Windows will now find the "new" DVD drive and reinstall the drivers.

This should work. After the reformat windows may not have ID'd the drive and loaded the drivers correctly.

16. well instead of doing all of this just go to device manager and update the driver from there it's faster

17. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

I tried that, and it isn't working. When I choose to manually choose the driver I want to update, it just comes up with a bunch of CD drivers no dvd. Is there a standard DVD driver anywhere?

I will try to open my case and look at what type it is, but it will be a while. Isn't there any quicker way?

18. Kush

Kush High On Life!

its not the same as, removing the device physically

19. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Uninstall IDE drivers from device manager and reboot.

20. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

You could go into device manager and just temp. disable the other drive(s) (optical only) so that your only left w/ your DVD drive to choose from. :)