Matt's Latest Project

Normally I have System, Data, and Shared. For this project I purchased two 500GB drives and I have mirrored them using Server's built in functionality.

I am using 150GB for System (C:), 100GB for Data (D:), and the rest for Shared Storage (S:). System will house Exchange, SharePoint, and the Office Accounting 2007 databases.

What are the differences between the files on your D and S?

For this project I purchased two 500GB drives and I have mirrored them using Server's built in functionality.

You using software mirroring or hardware mirroring? ie when you say Servers's built in functionality are you talking about Windows Server's ability to do this (I think its possible) or functionality of the actual server's hardware?

Just wondering really, I personally prefer Hardware or at least what they call fakeRaid for that sort of thing.

D = Documents, Favorites, etc.
S = Downloaded Files, Backups of all ISO's, etc.

Geffy, I use the software built into Server. I didn't buy a RAID card for my server.

ah right

If you want to get a RAID card as you are using windows I would recommend the XFX Revo64 RAID cards, they are pretty cheap compared to 3ware and so on and look to be the business. No drivers required for windows operation unless you want to use their management tool. comes in 3 and 5 port versions. I've played with one myself and its fine for Windows and Linux but it doesnt report correct information to operate with FreeBSD at the moment. If you want to go all out on RAID then of course 3ware, Promise and HighPoint are better places to start.

After too many problems with the Cisco router (the GUI sucked, the wireless application didn't even work, plenty of problems, and the wireless signal was weak) I decided to restore it to factory default and start from scratch. During this process the router bricked. I now believe there were other problems with the router.

Based on a recommendation from Derek and someone else I decided to go a different route with my infrastructure.

New Infrastructure
Router: Linksys RVS4000 4-Port Gigabit Security Router
Switch: Linksys SD2008 8-Port Gigabit Switch
Wireless Access Point: Linksys WAP54GP Wireless-G Access Point

I am returning the Cisco 851W to Cisco RMA style. It will be replaced with a brand new unit which I will end up selling on here, to a client, or on eBay.

I will update when I have progress.

How many machines do you have at your home?

The Linksys and the 4 ports on that are sufficient for me. I'm really happy how everything is in one device - routing, vpn, gigabit, etc.

I have three machines on at all times (server, production, test). I need the extra ports because I sometimes have multiple computers in the shop. I will also be purchasing a notebook in Q2 of 2007.

Gotcha.

Have always been disappointed that Linksys doesn't make 8 port Routers - ah well :(

At least not of the models I prefer to use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back