make WinXP Pro boot faster

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Driver 7, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Driver 7

Driver 7 Guest

I just found this tweek 5 min ado and after doing it my system booted in 1 second flat. I highley recomend everyone does it now.
    I dont know about any file that will change it other than bootvis, which never worked for me. one guarunteed way to get faster boots, is to change the prefetch options. do this

start > run > type regedit > navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > Current control set > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management > Prefetch Parameters. change the value in EnablePrefetcher from 3 to 5. reboot and watch the faster speed.

2. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Valid settings for this registry key are

0 disabled
    1 application launch prefetch
    2 boot prefetch
    3 both
    a value 5 doesn't exist.

Didn't think this wrong tweak is still around.

3. FoSsiL

FoSsiL Guest

if you want to make your system boot faster, just disable EnablePrefetcher

4. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Prefetch is a feature designed to speed up boot and application launch.

5. yoyo

yoyo _________________

some more

6. Emanuele

Emanuele Guest

So it is better to leave it enabled and at 3?

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

I would think so. Just try for yourself. Every system is different. When testing remember that it will take effect only after the third reboot, not immediately.

8. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

i heard 5 is the best setting if you want it to boot fastest. i would try it, but i dont wanna restart right now.
    i heard this from (http://www.tweaknews.net) which i guess is a valid site for info.

9. Emanuele

Emanuele Guest

I`ll try that. Then i can always go back to 3

5 <---------- No such value for Prefecther!

10. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Read the second article I quoted and decide who knows more about Windows XP, www.microsoft.com or www.tweaknews.net.

5 isn't a possible value for this key, it equals 0. This "tweak" has its origin in an error made by totalidea software (TweakXP) and then spreaded all over the net.

11. Driver 7

Driver 7 Guest

Ok ya know what. Just try it. YoYo if you have not tried this then do it now. Changing this value had more of a change than any other tweek I have ever changed. And I have tried them all. But please do not knock this tweak unless you have tried it. Cuz if you have not tried it then you can not give a valued arguement.
    I also just tried the on windows server2003 for anyone with that OS. It also booted with the same speed.

12. Driver 7

Driver 7 Guest

READ HERE

13. Driver 7

Driver 7 Guest

HERE'S MORE

14. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

i havent done it yet(still downloading something important) but i just wanna know if i should change anything else cause I gots 2 hdds in a raid 0 config

15. Driver 7

Driver 7 Guest

I do to. This tweak is good for us because bootvis will not work on raid.

16. lynchknot

lynchknot Moderator

Ok, I tried this. The first boot took longer, on the second boot it took even longer, on the third boot - OMG!!! I took sooooo long to boot - 4 times as long. This is not for me. I'm going back to #3 setting.

17. FoSsiL

FoSsiL Guest

leaving EnablePrefetcher = 3 can increase applications launch performance, but you will need to delete all the files in c:\windows\prefetch folder if you want to decrease start up time with you reboot.

18. Driver 7

Driver 7 Guest

Are you serious. Are you running XP?
    This tweek has made main page news at Driver Heaven, Warp2Search and the futuremark forums. Everyone who has tried it has posted good results. I really do not know what it does. I would immagine it enables a boot process that allows you function, gives visual, and then boots the rest of the programs. Just a guess though. And as far as what people know about operating systems, and what sites report about tweeks. There are lots of hidden features that are newly discovered all the time. So keep and open mind.
    Either way. It's worth a try. If it does not work for you then you can change it back. If it does then you will be glad you tried it.
    And for those that feel the need to debate the issue or bash it. I'm just sharing something hella cool that I discovered. So if you dont believe in it. read another post.

19. Driver 7

Driver 7 Guest

****ty. :eek:
    While trying to learn more about this Killer value setting I was informed that basically I'm a nob. I guess what it does is disabled the prefetch which is why the sliding windows bars screen is much shorter. The boot process that follows is then there longer.

Could have fooled me.
    Guess it did. At least There are some bigger web sites to blame for making me into noob all over again. So if everyone will now direct there attention to the front of the class we will carry on with the rest of the class.
    Everyone who performed this turn to page start > run > type regedit > navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > Current control set > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management > Prefetch Parameters. change the value in EnablePrefetcher from 5 to 3. reboot and watch your Prefetcher return.
    Sorry guys.

:(

You should probally defrag and off line defrag aswell.

20. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

driver 7...great post...not many peeps willing to take their lumps.

good on ya...and welcome to our great board...stick around please/ I am sure you will be an asset here

follow yoyo's information whenever you see his user name

I have never seen him wrong in anything he has ever posted