looking for a reliable legit (US) webhost

Thanks all for the responses. I haven't had time to buy the hosting yet but I will be doing it tonite after work. When I get home I will research the places that have been posted here and choose...I've used 1and1 (had a deal for a free pro package a while back) but I'm just searching for the best deal and reliability...1and1 reliable? Yes. The best price for my brother? Maybe not.

www.ipowerweb.com i've been using it for about 3 or 4 years now, never had a problem. based out of california i believe.

Kunal's site has never been down when I've visited, and the speeds are fine. From my end-user experience 1&1 seem fine, and Kunal seems happy enough with them himself.

It may be the case that people have different experiences with the same host, one badly set-up server in a cluster of many can give an over-all bad impression. I've had that happen to me before now.

The problem with the internet is that there is far too much negativity, hardly anyone hops onto a forum to state how great their host/whatever is, people usually only speak out to complain, and it gives an inaccurate negative idea of a company.

SPeedY_B said:
Kunal's site has never been down when I've visited, and the speeds are fine. From my end-user experience 1&1 seem fine, and Kunal seems happy enough with them himself.

It may be the case that people have different experiences with the same host, one badly set-up server in a cluster of many can give an over-all bad impression. I've had that happen to me before now.

The problem with the internet is that there is far too much negativity, hardly anyone hops onto a forum to state how great their host/whatever is, people usually only speak out to complain, and it gives an inaccurate negative idea of a company.
Spot on. Thank you! :)

SPeedY_B said:

It is true that Kunal's website speeds are fine, it has been down once or twice for me, but that was because the BGP routes were screwed at level3.net.

As for different experiences, yes, that is indeed true. However many people do speak out for a host of it is good. 1&1 in general ive heard has gotten more complaints than people saying they were good. Personally i have not used them, just one time i was uploading a file to them (500 MB), and was at 250 MB going at 10 KB/sec up, instead of my full 128 KB/sec, and i got disconnected, then when it came back up i could not resume uploading the file so I had to redo the 250 MB.

@threadstarter:
By all means give 1&1 a try. Just make sure to post back with your experiences.

X-Istence said:
@threadstarter:
By all means give 1&1 a try. Just make sure to post back with your experiences.
Just to clear things up, it wasn't my intention to impose my views on anyone else, or to push Tuffgong into signing up with 1and1. It hardly makes a difference to me. I posted a suggestion just like everyone else based on my good experiences with the host I'm currently using, and thought it was appropriate to respond to LordOfLA's comment.

It seems like Tuffgong has already used 1and1 before and found it to be reliable...just not the best deal around for his purpose. Guess that settles the matter then. :)

NetRyder said:
Just to clear things up, it wasn't my intention to impose my views on anyone else, or to push Tuffgong into signing up with 1and1. It hardly makes a difference to me. I posted a suggestion just like everyone else based on my good experiences with the host I'm currently using, and thought it was appropriate to respond to LordOfLA's comment.

It seems like Tuffgong has already used 1and1 before and found it to be reliable...just not the best deal around for his purpose. Guess that settles the matter then. :)

exactly what I meant NetRyder

...was about to buy the hosting for my bro and realized I had some old info from him and couldn't buy it. Then he took off to Las Vegas and I havent had a chance to finish it up. I'm leaning toward either godaddy.com or 1and1 right now...it's a tough one. 1and1 is very very reliable, but godaddy has the best prices and features. it's a tough one!

X-Istence said:
Seconded. Many people that have used 1&1 have switched away from them for the following reasons:

1. Support was slow
2. FTP uploading was slow (Would not upload at full 128 KB/sec they had avail for their upload bandwidth from their ISP)
3. Stuff just did not work at times, most notable phpNuke website on MySQL

Here are some complaint threads on webhostingtalk.com the industry standard for webhosts:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=404956&highlight=oneandone
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97148&highlight=oneandone

Search for more yourself :p

I was referred to 1and1 from this forum. I have had nothing but excellent service from the company and I've been with them for a while now. I had an issue with my previous host releasing my domain name. I had a response from 1and1 customer service within the hour I emailed them.

I haven't had any downtime that I'm aware of, perfectly fine ftp speeds. MySQL responds fast. Fast php parse and page response.

Every site that I design is and will be hosted on 1and1's servers. I am not in the least bit unsatisfied with their service. Sad to see other people have had problems, but that is my experience.

There are a bunch of recommendations that I received about a year ago located here: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=40823

Last edited:
I used to have a 1and1 account, but the name stuff was all screwy and I never got english error messages when things went wrong, always German. So I switched to a host in the UK, now I have imo the best host eva :p
If anything goes wrong I only have myself to blame, but things get fixed and sorted as soon as I want something done which is cool :p

Edit: You meant UK, not US.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use www.greensoda.com for my site. I don't pay anything and I get more space than I need. I have two active forums on my account, 4 sites (all have tons of graphics) and a pile of flash music. Yay.

Second vote for [ASO] Asmallorange. Have two accounts with them, great Customer Service, reliable uptime, and pretty good speed for the price.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back