looking for a reliable legit (US) webhost

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Tuffgong4, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

my brother is starting a website to publish his articles in. He gets his stuff published on some pretty reputable websites but he just needs his own place in case his articles don't get picked up.

what we are looking for is a reliable good webhost.
    the deluxe package from godaddy.com looks really good and cheap and perfect for what he is going to do but I'm looking for alternatives to this. maybe some that people here have used.

this is the link to packages at godaddy.com https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?se=+&ci=260
    the deluxe package is what he wants cause it would be for a year so he'd get it at 7.96 a month. If anyone else has a webhost in the US they use please let me know.

sorry LordofLa I need a US host or I'd take you up on your offer

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

www.asmallorange.com

I think thats the right url - Timdor from neowin.net runs it and is us based. Pretty good by all accounts.

3. 1badtech

1badtech OSNN Junior Addict

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

heh I wouldnt touch hostdepartment with a barge pole :p

Tuffgong4 likes this.
  5. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

ha...thanks lord

6. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I've been using 1and1.com for around 2 years now, and I don't remember ever experiencing any downtime.

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

no-one with a brain uses 1&1 though :p

9. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

seconded, that would appear to be a very good host.

10. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Just because a host isn't Digital Euphoria... you don't have to put it down :p

11. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

12. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Of course not :D Thats why I only put down the bad hosts :p

13. NetRyder

Perhaps you could provide justifications for your comments, rather than just claiming certain hosts are "bad"

14. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I thought that sort of thing was banned from the interweb. ;)

Facts, Justification and Rational thinking have no place here apparently :D :p

NetRyder likes this.
  15. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

I use Ace-host.net, and it seems to be very good.

16. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

My friend uses them for an anime site, loves them. Also other people around here have used them.

17. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

I have used 1&1 for a few years hosting various sites, linux and windows based hosting, and I can't say a bad thing about them. Virtually 100% uptime, value for money packages and all the sites are super fast on shared or dedicated hosting. What the hell more do you want or need?

If this is bad, then me like bad :devious:

18. X-Istence

Seconded. Many people that have used 1&1 have switched away from them for the following reasons:

1. Support was slow
    2. FTP uploading was slow (Would not upload at full 128 KB/sec they had avail for their upload bandwidth from their ISP)
    3. Stuff just did not work at times, most notable phpNuke website on MySQL

Here are some complaint threads on webhostingtalk.com the industry standard for webhosts:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=404956&highlight=oneandone
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97148&highlight=oneandone

Search for more yourself :p

19. NetRyder

And people believe everything they read on the web...

1) Never dealt with support to be honest. Never had the need to, in fact. I'd consider that a good thing. :D
    2) I upload stuff almost everyday. Speeds are similar to the ones I get when uploading to my OSNN webspace. So either 1and1 is fine, or the host OSNN is on is just as bad as they are. You wouldn't admit to the latter now, would you, X?
    3) Stuff did not work? Everything I've tried so far seems to have worked. Never bothered with phpNuke, but contacting support might help if it doesn't work...just a thought?

As for the two threads...the first one doesn't actually highlight the problem the person was having. The second guy just has no idea what he's doing. Can't change nameservers? I wonder what this is then: http://faq.1and1.com/domains/dns_settings_/13.html

As RickyC mentioned above, I've never had a problem with downtime, speed or anything of the sort. If I had to complain about something, it would be the fact that the usernames they provide are long and cryptic, but that's about it. :p

20. X-Istence

NetRyder: there are more complaints on webhostingtalk, and all over. Ive had friends and family switch away from them because their sites were slow and whatnot.

Does not matter to me where he goes. BTW NetRyder, FTP is crippled on osnn.net. Pure-Ftpd is slower than alternatives, but it is the only one with virtual user accounts, which is neat to have.