Konfabulator 1.8 for Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by NetRyder, Nov 8, 2004.

1. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

2. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

this is a great application, and in some way i am glad that they have finally ported it over so that the windows users can share the amazing widgets on offer. :D

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

downloading now

4. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

so what does it do??

would have been nice to know it costs $25 before I install it.

5. Perris Calderon

if anyone wants to give a heads up on the best widgets for you and how to go about getting them going, that'd help a bit

screenys too :snack:

6. why can't anything be free in this world

7. Perris Calderon

I'm guessing it's shareware then?

how log is the trial?

8. i dont know it doens't say anything during installation or in the "about", about how many days left, or if it's demo

9. Perris Calderon

10. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

It just looks like a standard widget thing to me, like Deskbar or some of Stardock's stuff.

11. maddoctor

maddoctor The Greek God ...... ;-)

So, does this really works?Can you run MAC OS programs on Windows XP and vice versa?Has anyone tried it out? :confused:

12. NetRyder

Not OS X programs. You can use the same desktop widgets.

13. NetRyder

It isn't freeware, but I believe there is no trial period, as such. From what I could tell by reading some posts on their forums, it pops up an "Unregistered trial version" box if you don't register it, that's all.

14. NetRyder

Ok, gave it a spin, and I have mixed feelings about it.

First the good - unlike the competition, it comes with some great widgets out-of-the-box, and the whole initial setup process is very professional and user-friendly. I think it's safe to say that it's the most polished desktop widget app available.

The first big red flag - it starts up new processes for each new widget that you create, and each process takes up a LOT of RAM. Now this isn't a huge problem for those of us with >512MB of RAM, but it's a little discomforting, considering that every other widget app uses far fewer resources to achieve pretty much the same effect (I compared the FTP Drop widget in AveDesk - it's pixel perfect, but uses less memory).

Another obvious issue is the cost - $25 as compared to $0 for apps like AveDesk, Kapsules, Samurize, DesktopX etc. But Konfabulator does have a larger library of widgets to choose from than most of the others...at least as of now.

Finally, hackability - I think Samurize can be considered the most hackable of them all. You can go in and change things around to suit your purpose. AveDesk would be second in the list. Kapsules and Konfab are almost on par when it comes to hackability - they're essentially not meant for it, so both of them offer you very little opportunity to customize the widgets, and make them any different from what they already are. That also makes both of them the most user-friendly - they "just work."

Hope that was objective enough and helped some of you. [​IMG]

15. maddoctor

So you can use lets say samurize or objectdock on a mac!?I thought it was that program that was mentioned inside here that was said to work as an emulator between windows and mac os :rolleyes:

16. NetRyder

Ok, I'll try to make this a little clearer. Konfabulator was originally a desktop widget app for Mac OS X. Desktop widgets are not programs as such; they're more like mini applications that sit on your desktop and provide useful functionality (and sometimes just eye-candy). Konfabulator 1.8 is the first version that is available for both Windows XP and Mac OS X, and since they share the same roots, you can use the same widgets that you could use on Mac OS X on Windows now. Check out http://www.widgetgallery.com/ for the available widgets.
    Did that make more sense now? :)

17. maddoctor

Ok!!I got now! Thx very much!
    (and something else off the topic, writing this answer from a new window of IE, I got a popup warning from the security center of my XP SP2 PRO that something wanted from this site to download to my pc.See the attached picture.)

Attached Files:

18. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Post this in the ad complaint thread so EP is sure to see it. ;)

19. maddoctor

And this thread is at ........ because I get it wherever I go in the forum today!!!!!! :mad:

20. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

try here. :D

maddoctor likes this.