IE 7.0 Beta 1 Discussion Thread

as a general statement I agree with this criticism, though I don't think it was "the worst" decision ms has made, I don't think it was a good one

Years ago, when Microsoft added the buggy and unproven IE code to the core of Windows NT 4.0, I felt that it was the worst decision the company had ever made. And since then, I've been proven right time and time again: IE has become the number one vector for malware intrusions in Windows, as shown by the vast number of security exploits this product has suffered over the years. As a result, one can make only a very weak argument about the benefits of fusing IE with Windows. But one can make a much better argument about the benefits of leaving the browser code separate from the OS.

hehe, I was about to make a post asking if I need to do a tickbox somewhere to enable the proper css support cause the sites I have tested with the beta arent rendering properly :p

then I read that these fixes havent been incorporated into the Beta1

So far though even without the proper css support I dont like it much, the tabs, esp the mini tab to open a new tab just dont look nice, and why is the file menu under the tab and not where it normally is for Windows applications.

The feeds thing is quite nice though, I do like that. Admittedly I think the Feed view in Safari is nicer, but each to his own

Looks like MS is re-hauling IE pretty good, new logo, new name, and more goodies!

linky

so when i open IE it doesnt open full screen when it first opens. It opens nice and small, how do i fix this? None of the old ie6 tricks work. If i missed this in the previous pages i appologize.

If, when you close it, it's full screen, that is how it "should" re-open since it remembers previous behavior. Is this not the case?

have tried that many times to no avail

have dragged it open and closed it
full screened it then closed

did the open 2 trick.. drag open both, close the second one then the first, and that doesnt work

XP
my standard buttons dont stay when i close either. :( i dont like me ie7 experience so far.

edit: neither does the top right search when i change it to google.
edit: edit: setting google as default fixed that.
edit: edit: edit: going to the props of the link and having it open maximized fixed that. 1 more problem to go

Now i just have to figure out how to get my standard buttons and links to stay once i close IE. If i cant figure this out i will be angry. or just leave IE open forever

Last edited:
I still find the location of the 'file-edit-view-help' menubar to be a bit non-sensical and strange, not in keeping with the rest of the OS. Thats my only current problem with it, css support or lack there of I am unfortunately familiar with ;)

They have mentioned over and over again that the UI and chrome layout could change before Beta2/RTM. Who knows? We'll see...

so i figures out this problem
I would goto VIEW add standard buttons, add the links, close IE and reopen and they would never save. Here is now i fixed this.

I have a homepage of a local webpage that i made. The files are on my harddrive. I changed me homepage to www.google.com instead of C:\Homepage\homepage.htm and bam. It all works fine now. Sad that i cant use my homepage, but i suppose this will be fixed eventualy.

Things I think they need to improve on in IE 7:
- Make the back/forward/address/search & tabs bar movable.
- The shortcuts in the links bar are all 1 width, change it back to the way IE6 handled them.
- I'd prefer the Open Tab button to be at the far left of the Tab bar.

Re: IE 7.0 Beta 1 - Phishing filter in action

NetRyder said:
On second thoughts, I've renamed this to be a general-purpose thread for discussion on IE 7.0 Beta 1.

Using it as my primary browser during the beta test period so that I'm in a better position to report issues and provide feedback. So here's the first little tweak - you'll notice that the search bar doesn't include the option to add additional search engines. The option is there, it's just not exposed in Beta 1. :)

To add additional search engines (Dictionary.com for this example), fire up the Regedit.
1. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes
2. Add a new key with a friendly name for the search engine (eg: Dictionary.com)
3. Under this new key, you need to add three values - two strings, and a DWORD:
-- String: "DisplayName" Value: "Dictionary.com" (this is the name that appears)
-- DWORD: "SortIndex" Value: 5 (increment this each time you add a new one)
-- String: "URL" Value: "http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=%s" (%s gets replaced with the query)

Done.

COOL thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back