I got baptized today .. Yep, the Johnny has become one with God.

LordOfLA said:
You must be,all other "born agains" I've seen or met are religious nutcases that cling to some form of christianity, contradicting themselves and the bible every chance they get to gt up on the soap box.

I would suggest you stop being "born again" and just be a sensible christian of one of the variations of the theme.
Friend of ours became a so called "born again" christian.He turned into a right nutter :speechless: Used to be a lovely fella but he's now in a psychiatric hospital :(
St John we used to call him :laugh:

LordOfLA said:
You must be,all other "born agains" I've seen or met are religious nutcases that cling to some form of christianity, contradicting themselves and the bible every chance they get to gt up on the soap box.

I would suggest you stop being "born again" and just be a sensible christian of one of the variations of the theme.

Well, umm, err, uhh, if you see me getting to "extreme", then you can personally commit me ;)

LordOfLA said:

The test for this will be, if he starts creating creating several threads a day alluding to the Earth being only 6,000 years old, in which he condemns science for being a tool of the devil for leading people away from God :eek: Said further test will be, if any Jewish individuals get dissed for "not accepting Jesus", because they state they don't interpret Genesis so litterally, as to formulate the age of Earth from it :devious:

Until such time, I think we can count Johnny as one of the more sensible Christians out there :up:

Son Goku said:
The test for this will be, if he starts creating creating several threads a day alluding to the Earth being only 6,000 years old, in which he condemns science for being a tool of the devil for leading people away from God :eek: Said further test will be, if any Jewish individuals get dissed for "not accepting Jesus", because they state they don't interpret Genesis so litterally, as to formulate the age of Earth from it :devious:

Until such time, I think we can count Johnny as one of the more sensible Christians out there :up:

Well, as a born again christian myself, I can testify to the fact that I haven't created several threads a day stating that the Earth is only 6000 years old and/or condeming science. :)

The question of creationism vs evolution vs ID is not a question to be debated in this thread/forum. Personally, I believe in Creation in 7 days - I don't expect you to and I won't argue that the evolutionist point of view is wrong. I don't believe creationism and/or ID should be taught in schools. I do believe that evolution has some merit but that it also has some places where it falls short to explain the orgin of life.

Big Bang and creationism still come down to a central question to which creationism addresses with unprovable faith and evolution hasn't really hasn't answered: How did matter come to exist at all. Big bang still requires a super dense core of material to which to seed the known universe. How did said material come to be? Creationism doesn't have that answer - instead believing, by faith, that God just existed and it can't be explained/proved.

Science certainly has a place in this world - heck some of the more famous scientists in history have been devout christians: Johannes Kepler, Blaise Pascal, Robert Boyle, John Dalton, Michael Faraday, James Joule, Lord Kelvin, James Clerk Maxwell, George Washington Carver..

The real question (that I still struggle with - so don't ask me for an answer) is trying to balance my faith with science.

fitz said:
Well, as a born again christian myself, I can testify to the fact that I haven't created several threads a day stating that the Earth is only 6000 years old and/or condeming science. :)

I didn't mean you in the specific. There is someone I do have in mind (albeit on another board), so I won't go into details. It wouldn't be fair to anyone to do so. But suffice it to say, I have seen this :eek:

The question of creationism vs evolution vs ID is not a question to be debated in this thread/forum. Personally, I believe in Creation in 7 days - I don't expect you to and I won't argue that the evolutionist point of view is wrong. I don't believe creationism and/or ID should be taught in schools. I do believe that evolution has some merit but that it also has some places where it falls short to explain the orgin of life.

As long as evidence continues to exist, about the dinosaurs having existed 10s of millions of years ago, and many geologic formations taking even longer to form (as for instance Mt. Everest is still rising in height a few centemeters per year), I wouldn't find a literal interpretation to be most believable. Mind you however, that it's more the "this is the truth, you should all believe it, or else... You ignorant fools, how can you say...the Bible clearly says..." like that I can take issue with. But no, this isn't the thread for this, (the hard talk section is). So I just left a thought in passing. In the past however, Johnny himself hasn't been in support of this sort of man handling, or forcing of the beliefs, so... It isn't really an issue here, and no, at least at present I don't see Johnny comming accross this way...

Big Bang and creationism still come down to a central question to which creationism addresses with unprovable faith and evolution hasn't really hasn't answered: How did matter come to exist at all. Big bang still requires a super dense core of material to which to seed the known universe.

Of possible interest, but could steer this further off topic, is that there's an alternative scientific explanation other then Big Bang. Plasma cosmology, which in large part was the product of various plasma physicists themselves, who on micro scale were able to expermiment with witness for instance the spiral shape of a spiral galaxy, using plasma itself, is another line of scientific thought altogether. Big band and cosmologists vs. plasma cosmology and plasma physicists would need it's own thread however... Plasma cosmology doesn't see a starting point, from which creation occured, and also presents some interesting propositions of it's own. Plasma physics is argued (in there case) as having answers it can provide, because much of the known matter in the universe is plasma.

Science certainly has a place in this world - heck some of the more famous scientists in history have been devout christians: Johannes Kepler, Blaise Pascal, Robert Boyle, John Dalton, Michael Faraday, James Joule, Lord Kelvin, James Clerk Maxwell, George Washington Carver..

You can also add Roger Bacon to the list. Though his work was lost, and his fellow Fransiscan monks locked him in a tower till shortly before his death, he had ideas very similar in fact, to that of Francis Bacon several centuries latter. Remarkable yet, is Roger Bacon's own works, weren't published until about 150 years after Francis Bacon (credited with the formulation of inductive reason and the scientific method) had published his own... I've heard it argued, that he also wrote of the world being "round" before the time of Columbus as well; albeit we also now know that the Greeks postulated this as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Bacon

Roger Bacon (c. 1214 – 1294), also known as Doctor Mirabilis (Latin: "astounding teacher"), was one of the most famous Franciscan friars of his time. He was an English philosopher who placed considerable emphasis on empiricism, and has been presented as one of the earliest advocates of the modern scientific method; though later studies have emphasized his reliance on occult and alchemical traditions.

...His "Opus Majus" contains treatments of mathematics and optics, alchemy and the manufacture of gunpowder, the positions and sizes of the celestial bodies, and anticipates later inventions such as microscopes, telescopes, spectacles, flying machines and steam ships.

Some of his ideas, would be considered decidedly unscientific today (for instance his study of astrology), but other aspects. Heck some of the stuff talked about, we since invented... There were people from other religions also (Kabalists for instance), who also made their contributions.

Anyhow, sorry Johnny for the bit of a thread hijack here. Not where I intended this should follow. Anyhow, back on topic I s'pose...

That was some interesting reading there Son Guko and Fitz. I like seeing it from two sides. It makes for a interesting atribute of what everyone thinks. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back