how to Port Forward with my router :(

I think i can help you out here (lots of exp with dlink networks as its the only brand in my country) but let me make sure i have this right.

1.Does your computer accesses the network (and the internet) through your wireless connection. (if this is so you can just right click on LAN and hit disable)

2. What is your primary web browser? (In windoze alot of applications get their internet settings from internet explorer. If your useing firefox or netscape then you might have internet explorer set up wrong)

3. Can you access the internet with other apps/games?.

well i thought i replied to this one, and i check and the reply isnt here :/ so ill give a brief answer to what i have written before. 3 key components, my adsl/router, my computer (wireless) and computer 2 (rj45) cable. That is how they are configured. I am not particularly worried about file sharing between both computers, once i can fix this problem then i will do that. I have tried msconfig and disablling all startup and service so safe to say the software firewall is off? and it still doesnt work. Ive tried it on the Computer2 (rj45) and it still wont connect either. Am i supposed to get "an internet gateway" like the picture i have attached earlier in my network connections? im thinking maybe THAT has a firewall or something on which disables me from connecting. Both pcs have this "internet gateway". and i cant disable it as it says its in use and i can only edit using the computer that has the ICS(internet gateway).

Still a bit confusing... The "gateway" is either the router, or the ICS machine (if you're running ICS). Are you?

So it's:
Code:
Internet -- DSL -- Computer 2 -- Router ~~ Computer 1

OR:

Code:
Internet -- DSL -- ROUTER ~~ Computer 1
                      \
                       -- Computer 2
Which is it? The first altenative is a bad one. The router is quite unnecessary except as acting as a wireless access point, in which case you should disable some stuff in the router (like DHCP for instance).

Also disabling services might have disabled something important as well! The standard Windows firewall won't stop programs from connecting out (as far as I know).

zerdric: hi, neat diagram better then the one i drew in photoshop lol but regardless to say yes it is indeed the second one. my computer (wifi) has NIS which i disabled firewall and the outside one has just the windows firewall with AVG installed so not much to play around there. Can i ask why do i have an ICS in there? i think the "internet gateway" is my router am i correct? cant i just make it like if i plug in a network connection it goes online already? kinda like "plug and play" just that i might have to manually se the ip and the default gateway? Is there a way that i can get rid of that Internet gatway thingo?

NIS has some strangeness about it, it's caused problems before. Maybe it didn't turn off properly (this is mostly paranoia talking, but you never know ;)). Does Battle Net work on the second computer?

The gateway icon is indeed the router. You shouldn't have to use static IP afaik, but it may be a security thing with the wireless and therefor a good idea. But I've never used wireless, so I'm just guessing. Anyway, the icon is supposed to be there (UPnP makes it happen). You can normally use it to forward ports if you wish.

But doesn't it go online right away? What do you have to do to get it working?

well i just turn on my computer and it works. And no other computer as well doesnt work with it. Well actually if im not im not mistaken, that 'internet gateway' thingie wasnt there before. I wanted to file share from outside comp and mine so i made a network disk? u know that one where it says to create a disk after i installed using a network setup wizard. And now i got it as well. Do you think if (in the extreme context) i Format my computer :( it will work?

btw what is that UpnP is anyways? do i need it enabled?

UPnP is Universal Plug and Play, id leave it enabled as its just there to make things easier. Formatting is definatly not neccessary, it'll probably turn out to be something small that we can all feel stupid about later. Having your router under internet gateway is normal and as zedric said just part of UPnP. Do you use a DHCP on your router? im still unsure whether its just diablo 2 that doesnt connect or the entire computer, BUT if it is the whole computer then it is probably something to do with your DNS setup.

Well, if Battle Net doesn't work on the other computer either, it's not something to do with the computer... It must be the router, unless you've managed to do the same bad thing to both computers. ;)

Does the router have content filtering? Firewall for outgoing traffic? Parental control?

no i dont have content filtering. Well i tried (just for kicks) turn off all my firewall settings in my router, and it still didnt work. i give it 1week from now to format. Im getting annoyed at this problem grrrr.

Well, i honestly don't know what could be wrong right now. The only things left I can think of is if you messed something up by disabling too many services, or that NIS is still messing with you (but that wouldn't affect the other computer, so not likely).

Before you go an do the format thing (that is rarely an answer) what version of firware is your router running? Might be a long shot but has been some udpates and maybe they can help you ...
v1.00b05au

1. DNS Pass Through with DNS relay fix
2. Fix the source IP of the packet
3. Remove MAC Address Filtering and add Access List
4. Add Wireless Clients option under Status tab
5. Move Save & Reboot to separate page
6. Add UPNP page
7. Wireless WPA fix
If your interesting you can check DLINK site for the download/instructions.

thanks anyways Xie, but i am already with that firmware update. :( 6days and counting? im thinking, maybe hte problem lies when i did that network setup thingo from the other computer outside?

Maybe. But you just ran the networking wizard, right? That shouldn't do anything.

And before you try it, forget about doing Windows File Sharing with a computer outside your network. It can be done with the correct port forwarding and what not, but I wouldn't recommend it as WFS is generally very unsecure.

Well if you have time to kill and would rather try something else before formatting you could try uninstalling your network card (which should remove all network settings), and then reinstall it. That might make it easier to rule out a settings issue.

well tried what u said xie, and still no go. :( im really gonna kick something. i would kick my comp but i cant if u see the specs below. well found this: http://www.ozcableguy.com/dlink1.html#dslg604t it shows that the router has and hasnt got. maybe it will help. :(

edit: oh just to let u guys know i also tried putting my ip add in the DMZ. i read if i put it there its not really safe but is emm router problem free?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back