Hosting a mail server from the office

G-Money

Big Air
What all does it take to host your own e-mail server from your office. Also, can it be ran on WIndows XP ???

FYI : The (server) in the office only shares the internet to the other computers and all the programs save there data to it !!!!!

A friend of mine does Windows hosting and uses Merik(sp?) mailserver which seems to be pretty decent, its not free mind.

boiling it down to its parts you need a pc with a cpu (as opposed to those without one, they dont tend to work was well or as quickly), some ram, fair bit o'disk space, network card, operating system, mailserver software

personally I would recommend using a FreeBSD server with a mailserver on that, provided its not sendmail or exim (so preferably qMail, or LordOfLA would recommend Postfix) then it should be reasonably good.

Geffy said:
A friend of mine
That would be me :cool:

The particular version of Merak we run costs over $1000 per server

However, a great, FREE, piece of software that will probably do exactly what you want is MailEnable.

If you're wanting to do it 'properly', the other thing you'll need is access (directly or indirectly) to change the the MX records on your domain name. You'll also need a static IP address and a permanent internet connection (xDSL should be ok for small amounts of mail)

I'd also strongly reccomend you make arrangements for a backup email service hosted elsewhere - basically setting an MX record on the domain with a lower priority level to that of your main (on-site) mail server.

Its not as daunting as it sounds - honest :)

that would be exactly the thing

and welcome to OSNN mr chris ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back