Hosting a mail server from the office

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by G-Money, Nov 17, 2004.

1. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

What all does it take to host your own e-mail server from your office. Also, can it be ran on WIndows XP ???

FYI : The (server) in the office only shares the internet to the other computers and all the programs save there data to it !!!!!

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

A friend of mine does Windows hosting and uses Merik(sp?) mailserver which seems to be pretty decent, its not free mind.

boiling it down to its parts you need a pc with a cpu (as opposed to those without one, they dont tend to work was well or as quickly), some ram, fair bit o'disk space, network card, operating system, mailserver software

personally I would recommend using a FreeBSD server with a mailserver on that, provided its not sendmail or exim (so preferably qMail, or LordOfLA would recommend Postfix) then it should be reasonably good.

G-Money likes this.
  3. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd OSNN Junior Addict

That would be me :cool:

The particular version of Merak we run costs over $1000 per server

However, a great, FREE, piece of software that will probably do exactly what you want is MailEnable.

If you're wanting to do it 'properly', the other thing you'll need is access (directly or indirectly) to change the the MX records on your domain name. You'll also need a static IP address and a permanent internet connection (xDSL should be ok for small amounts of mail)

I'd also strongly reccomend you make arrangements for a backup email service hosted elsewhere - basically setting an MX record on the domain with a lower priority level to that of your main (on-site) mail server.

Its not as daunting as it sounds - honest :)

G-Money and Geffy like this.
  4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

that would be exactly the thing

and welcome to OSNN mr chris ;)

5. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd OSNN Junior Addict

spankyou very much mr Geffy :D

6. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

wow .... Thanks for the help !

I'll do my best !!