Hoolllyy SH$%!!!

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Hooly SH#$!!! My brand new Antec 550W PSU just blew up!!! Scarred the piss out of me! I just installed the Nvidia Driver 43.00 and needed to restart, well I accidently hit the shutdown icon instead. No problem, an anoyance at worst, so after the system shut down I hit the power button on the front of my PC and I hear (actually the whole house heard it) this very loud crackling sound like a sparkler firework, at the same time through the air vent that houses 2 front USB ports I see blue lights flickering and then it shutdown.

So I quickly pull the power cord out of the back and flip the power switch on the PSU, and then I smell it, the smell of burnt electronics. I am thinking this is not good, not good at all! So I disconnect everything open up the case, disconnect the mobo power connector first, just in case there is still some life left in the PSU, unplug all the power connectors and remove the PSU.
No way I am trying that one again!

So I grab my old PSU and install it. Praying that my mobo, cpu, ect is not fried. But as you can see it wasn't, THANK GOD!!!
But wow, that was a scare!

yea!! I really expected at least the mobo and/or the cpu to be dead. Whew! lucky, lucky me, because I can't afford to replace all that right now.

see if u can get a new ps form antec :)

I got some burnt parts u can have maybe they will replace those ;)

Originally posted by Krux
I got some burnt parts u can have maybe they will replace those ;)
heck yeah. use this opportunity and milk them for all you can! :p

I wish I could, but I purchased through newegg so I think I am out of luck there. But just out of couriosity "what kinda parts"?

You won't be able to just replace the burnt parts in the PSU. Something shorted and you have no idea what. It's strange that the fuse didn't prevent the fireworks...

Had a faulty PSU I tested once. Open. Nice fireworks! :) And it would have continued to do it if I hadn't shut it off. :eek:

Originally posted by Zedric
You won't be able to just replace the burnt parts in the PSU. Something shorted and you have no idea what. It's strange that the fuse didn't prevent the fireworks...

Had a faulty PSU I tested once. Open. Nice fireworks! :) And it would have continued to do it if I hadn't shut it off. :eek:

Well I don't think that we were refering to replacing parts inside the PSU, nothing quite that inocent, but anyway's yea, it was a total shock to me that 1) I even had the fireworks and that 2) nothing else got destroyed considering it lasted for a 3-5 seconds before it shut it's self off. I can't say I saw the fireworks for the last 2 seconds as I was scrambling over my desk for the power cord! LOL. But I am really glad it didn't kill anything else, I am not sure if this a part of it's design to protect the system or if I just got really lucky.

Just for fun I tried to power up the PSU with a dummy load for the mobo and nothing, on sign of life from it at all. Not that i would trust it reguardless at this point. This is the first PSU that I have had fireworks from. I have had them blow fuses, even had one blow a fuse so bad it went threw the PSU casing, but never fireworks. A new experience for me.

Originally posted by Maveric169
even had one blow a fuse so bad it went threw the PSU casing
Ouch! Sounds dangerous. :eek:

The fireworks probably stayed inside the PSU because going through the mobo would have been an (elecrically speaking) "longer way". Not that that is the case everytime! :)

Send the PSU back if you still have warranty.

Yea the PSU that fired the fuse like a bullet was an old AT 200w PSU, shocked the daylights out of me when it happen, and then to find the fuse on the floor still smoking! :eek:

Ohh yea, I deffinatly have a warrentee. I have only had this PSU for 6 days! I am just waiting to hear back from newegg on their replacment policy, there site only gives you 2 options for RMA return, 1)Return for a refund, and 2)return for repair (in which it states that you may get a repaired replacement instead of a brand new one)

So I sent them an email on the subject because I am not accepting the possibility of getting a refurbished one when I purchased a new one. I am sure it will all work out.

dude that is a f**kin fire hazard. if no luck with newegg tell antec the story you must have an invoice or something to prove purchase and id say they would most likely replace it with a new one. NO PSU DOES THAT AFTER 6 DAYS FROM NEW ITS A SERIOUS BAD ON THEYRE END AND IM SURE THEYD LIKE TO HEAR IT.

ALSO JUST THINK IF YOU WERENT THEYRE AND IT DID THIS THEN YOU'D COME HOME TO A PILE OF ASH. WHAT THE HELL SUE ANTEC FOR ATTEMPTED ARSON:)

and i cant see how that would happen but it sounds like a loose wire inside that would cause fireworks but dont open it up or you'll void the warranty... just to be on the safe side:blink:

Originally posted by XP Abuser
WHAT THE HELL SUE ANTEC FOR ATTEMPTED ARSON:)
lol, i don't think they attempted arson. if anything it'd be negligence.

but i seriously doubt newegg or antec will give him any trouble with replacing his ps.

Antec are nice, and newegg is a good site, I hope all goes well.

Really lucky mate, that your board and all else didn't fry with it. Stange, new PSUs exploding :eek:

That PSU was obviously due to be shipped to Iraq :D

Bloody dangerous in my eyes! :eek:

skazz

lol @ Skazzy
:D

in theyre oil refinerys muhahahahahahahaa:D

Well I think I will write an email to Antec just to let them know, that is a good Idea, and like you all said I was just really glad I was here when it happened.

You know that sinking feeling you get when something goes totally wrong, well I had envisioned a burnt mobo, and a dead CPU. At first I really didn't even want to open up the case for fear of what I might find, especially after I just spent like $400 on computer stuff to upgrade it and mod it! And I haven't even gotten all the parts yet! Ohh, I was so dreading the possibilities.

i know what the feeling is like, but yeh good idea to email antec about the prob as its a very serious one.

hows it going on getting a replacement from newegg?

Well I sent an email to newegg but I haven't heard back from them yet, but they probley won't reply till at least monday. But I will keep everyone informed as to what happens.

I doubt very much you will have a problem with a new replacement, I mean customer service replacements is a lot better now a day, seems to be the more you pay for it the easier it is the change if it goes wrong,

I have taken this microsoft sidewinder headset back 3 times so far, cos somit goes wrong and they don't even bother checking they just gimme a new one, guess they don't want no fuss

Skazz

They'll realise that you only had it for a week and ship you another

BTW Update Your Sig as we know you aint got a Truepower PSU now :D :blink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back