Hoolllyy SH$%!!!

Antec and Enermax are my two favourite PSU suppliers, no other PSU comes close IMO, and they both take their products seriously. You shouldnt have too much trouble getting a replacement from them.

LOL

I had something like this happen to me once....
Was sitting there happily playing Counter Strike minding my own
business when POP!!
All power was lost and all I could do was watch the smoke pour
out the back of my 'putah':D
Everything was fine...(apart from my PSU obviously)

I once got two defective Gainward cards from newegg (pink screen of death on POST), i called them and they gave me a full refund, and even payed for me to ship them back. I switched to LeadTek.

If you don't get an e-mail from them, call them, they have good customer service.

You might want to check out the link to "Hot CPU Tester Pro" in the software news section here. I've been wondering if there might have been any damage less than a complete fry done to your cpu/motherboard with the fireworks show, but I didn't want to bum your high by mentioning it without any means of checking. I'm guessing that Antec would have some kind of "not responsible for damage to any other...." disclaimer, but still, it would be good to know that you really did come out relatively unscathed.....

kip

Originally posted by jkipk
You might want to check out the link to "Hot CPU Tester Pro" in the software news section here. I've been wondering if there might have been any damage less than a complete fry done to your cpu/motherboard with the fireworks show, but I didn't want to bum your high by mentioning it without any means of checking. I'm guessing that Antec would have some kind of "not responsible for damage to any other...." disclaimer, but still, it would be good to know that you really did come out relatively unscathed.....

kip

Gd point!

Skazz

Well I ran that system tester from the software section and it passed. Now granted that is running just the freeware tests not the full version, but it looks like everything came out unscathed.

Can I assume you have your computer hooked to a working surge suppressor? If the PS fried that bad, the problem was most likely on the DC converter (before the transformer) side of it. If there was a real big surge the over-voltage devices might have blown, but they are supposed to do that if the surge is too high. These switch-mode power supplies are quite a bit more complex than their linear-mode brethren (but physically smaller, lighter and less expensive for the high current ratings you can get).

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Can I assume you have your computer hooked to a working surge suppressor? If the PS fried that bad, the problem was most likely on the DC converter (before the transformer) side of it. If there was a real big surge the over-voltage devices might have blown, but they are supposed to do that if the surge is too high. These switch-mode power supplies are quite a bit more complex than their linear-mode brethren (but physically smaller, lighter and less expensive for the high current ratings you can get).

Ohh yes! All my electronics (PC's, TV's, Stereo, ect) is on high quality surge protectors.

On a side note update I sent an email to Antec reguarding what happen. Here is a copy of that email for your enjoyment. I used part of my post here for this email so most of it will sound familiar.

TO: <customerservice@antec-inc.com>
Subject: My experience with my new PSU.

To Whom it may concern:

I wanted to take a moment to share my recent experience with your TruePower 550W ATX power supply. Last week I purchased a brand new TruePower 550W ATX power supply from the online retailer newegg.com. This was my first PSU upgrade for this PC, so needless to say I was excited. I choose the 550W PSU so that I would not need to upgrade it for a very long time, I really only needed a 350 - 450W but wanted to plan for the future.

Well after using the power supply for 6 days my brand new Antec 550W PSU just blew up!!! I just installed the new Nvidia Driver 43.00 and needed to restart, well I accidently hit the shutdown icon instead. No problem, an anoyance at worst, so after the system shut down I hit the power button on the front of my PC and I hear (actually the whole house heard it) this very loud crackling sound like a sparkler firework, at the same time through the air vent that houses my 2 front USB ports I see blue lights flickering, and sparks, and then it shutdown. The whole event lasted approx. 3 full seconds.

So I quickly pull the power cord out of the back and flip the power switch on the PSU, and then I smell it, the smell of burnt electronics. I am thinking this is not good, not good at all! So I disconnect everything open up the case, disconnect the mobo power connector first, just in case there is still some life left in the PSU, unplug all the power connectors and remove the PSU. At this point I am really worried that I have lost my motherboard (Gigabyte G7-VKML) and CPU (AMD Athlon XP 2100+). Thankfully I have saved my old PSU, a generic 350W, hooked it up and my system worked. WHEW!!

I have requested an RMA to get the defective PSU replaced, and hopefully this was a one time incident, but I wanted to make you aware of the problem I had as it was so severe.

Thank you for your time,

William Baumann

dude that is good.. a bit of comedy in there (nice one) now lets see if they reply:)

That mail sounds sorta like a horror novel. :) I get chills down my spine. *scary* :eek:

:)

Well I am dying to hear what they have to say, if they choose to say anything. I got the read reciept today, so I know someone read it.:)

Update

Well as some of you know my PSU blew up, and it may have damaged my mobo as my ps/2 keyboard ort and my onboard usb ports no longer work. So I called Antec today and explained the problem to them, and to make a long story short, they want me to send my mobo and the dead PSU to them to be tested. Well I really can't be without my PC for however long it would take them to test it so we came to a compromise. Since were both in Cali I made arrangements to bring my pc in to be tested and if they find that the PSU did cause the damage they will replace both.

You can read more info on this problem in this thread
http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31344

rite that seems very fair d00d did you unscrew anything on the psu hope you didnt. but they are doing there best to sort it out which i give em respect for. now you gotta wait.

Yea,I will go down there on monday or tuesday and have them check it out. At least there are willing to that, some companies would just blow you off and say tough luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back