Google Chrome ... A browser to compete with FF and IE ...

they might want to change the name now - the chrome is tarnished :p

They're going to have a plugin--tarnish remover.

Not that it matters, cause I think people were reading into the TOS too much, but it looks like Google has heard your concerns.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10031703-56.html?tag=mncol;posts

Well shiiiiiiiiiit, imagine that.

But...

The software maker told CNET News it plans to store about 2 percent of all such data, along with the IP address of the computer that entered the information.

Still a bit edgy. Well to me anyway, me be paranoid.

And remember people that are paranoid ARE paranoid because like fools they get themselves into paranoid situations. :speechless:

would have been easier to say - just be cause your paranoid don't mean they aren't out to get you. :p

it's not a tin foil hat, they are claiming that anything you post on the web is theirs to use at their discretion or non discretion

That terms of services applies to their Services. That includes YouTube, Google Video and others. Not to your browser and the content you generate and post through it.

Please read the damn terms of services. It specifically says that it is just for their services. Read the CNET article that was just linked, they use the same TOS for almost every service on their site, so when you have read one you have read them all. Chrome is not a service, it is a utility, as such section 11 does not apply to the browser!

Wow, English is my third language and I even got all of that after reading it carefully. Hell, I even made it bold in my original post on the topic.

they might want to change the name now - the chrome is tarnished :p

They're going to have a plugin--tarnish remover.

Are they gonna use Jenny McCarthy as the source code for that plug-in?

All of a sudden I got a flashback to the movie BASEketball (Toward the end of movie, Jenny McCarthy sucking the chrome off a trailer hitch -- literally). :p

Ok then, back to the browser. :D

Still having problems @ work with MS Mouse. It's an IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 USB. It has always worked great with everything, strange that with Google Chrome it craps on scrolling up. But I noticed that scrolling down is a bit choppy.

4 Other than the limited license set forth in Section 11, Google acknowledges and agrees that it obtains no right, title or interest from you (or your licensors) under these Terms in or to any Content that you submit, post, transmit or display on, or through, the Services

good post, missed that

it's back on my list

My trial lasted about 60 seconds:

1) Hated the favorites system.
2) It was slow and jerky on my lapotp loading pages with complex graphics.

I expected better from Google. I did appreciate their asking for feedback on why I thought it sucked when I uninstalled.

As for the TOS. Too long, too complex, and the "rights grab" and attempt to levy fault on the user for posting unliscenced material using their browser was such a pathetic attempt to cover their own asses for infringement I found it offensive. It's a damn browser, not a P2P program. If they get away with that TOS the next thing you know ISPs will start illegally spying for the government, storing our confidential emails for 6 months, disclosing our identities without due process, and then capping our bandwidth...

I actually like a lot of things about this browser. Still, it is a beta and there are some things that are not correctly rendered.

It is relatively fast, though Opera still has it beat. The favorites system is a little clunky, I prefer mine to be on the left side where I can open and close as needed. Still, not a bad effort at all Google :D I likey...

p.s. I LOVE that Chrome incorporates so many of the IE shortcuts I use so much.

If you mean speed wise and in JavaScript or pure JavaScript, then these links may be of relevance.

http://w-shadow.com/blog/2008/09/03/google-chrome-vs-opera-js-speed-test/

http://www.gadgets-reviews.com/chrome-vs-opera-ie-firefox.html

In real-life usage from browsers I frequent, I beg to differ.

Btw...

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3398&p=4

As you can see, IE7 is pretty damn fast, regardless of what FF fanboy's claim. Opera is, in my experience, faster than FF and much faster than the supposed fastest browser in the world (Safari). Side by side, it also seems faster than Chrome, although Chrome IS in beta. And keep in mind Opera is doing a lot more work since it is not barebones like Chrome is.

Wasn't this the way FF came to life, also as a bare bones browser broken off from the Mozilla Suite to be it's own entity? So with all the beta and new but bare of it won't it begin to become like all? Except that the individual process idea is quite a good concept.

And also as FF gets more and more plug-ins installed to it it gets more and more slower at loading. Safari as it is is not as fast as they tote it to be. Yes it does have speed but it all depends on the site and it's content, Just as Opera (which to me is very fast) and IE have to contend with how much is on any given site. I will say that the flash items on many a site does shiit many a browser. Now I wonder when they (Google) will begin to list some plug-ins? And what will the speed outcome be then. Time will tell, but by then we will have FF 4, Opera 10, IE 8, and Safari 4.

the next thing you know ISPs will start illegally spying for the government, storing our confidential emails for 6 months, disclosing our identities without due process, and then capping our bandwidth...

some of that happens now, bandwidth capping is 100%, and what makes you think governments aren't spying on you already :D

Its just that google have found a profitable way to do it :p

I am running the Safari 4 beta from Apple, and compared to the stock Safari that Apple offers with it's OS and or is available for download it flies. It contains a newer version of WebKit, and is many times faster at rendering pages, and feels snappier. I was working on a stock system at school using Safari and it felt sluggish.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back