Firefox or IE ?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Lawman82, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Lawman82

Lawman82 I see bad people

I just loaded firefox new verison with the new update, I'm wondering how many people have the problem on which one the best is, or which one works the best this year? Speak up with your ideas.

2. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Opera, better than both.

3. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

that's not what he asked ;) - asking which is best is subjective, both are good in some ways and bad in others, you should use each one and decide yourself after a period of time using them.

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I can't really answer honestly since I have only really ever used IE. I tried FF once, wasn't impressed, and never went back. IE meets all my needs, love the tabbed browsing (used a skin to get tabs in ie6), and it's fast. So, for me, IE :)

5. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I actually prefer IE w/Maxthon, but it chokes on very LARGE pages for me, so I usually use Firefox since I visit huge. As far as features go, though, Maxthon has a crapload of useful built-in stuff and community addons that blows Firefox (even with community addons) out of the water.

6. Lawman82

Falcon, never tried opera, hey post a link and I will take a look.

7. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

http://www.opera.com/

8. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

If you want to help the web design community then you can use Firefox, or IE7 at the very least. ;)

Seriously though, the community support of Firefox makes it a better browser to me. All the plugins and more constant updates are a big attraction.

9. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

I've pretty much used Firefox exclusively for the past year or 3 due to the NoScript and Adblock extensions for it.
    I used to use Maxthon quite a bit before that.

10. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

FF has a more cleaner interface, its not clunky like IE when it loads pages. (my opinion, so please don't hound me) The add-ons, and plug-ins are what sells FF. IE has copied the tabbed browsing along with a few other aspects that FF started with.

Security, well no browser is 100% safe, but FF does hold a upper hand, Opera would be a good choice also. :)

In my personal experiences with companies that have made it mandatory to use nothing but firefox when surfing the net.

its all about what you like...

11. Lawman82

Guys, Tdinc put it the best way, I feel the same way from year to year, I just find some sites work better with different browser, but I'm going to check the others out also, I'm using FF right now since I loaded it today, it been running pretty smooth.

12. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Use IE7 if you hate pop ups... At least in IE7 you have the option to block ALL pop ups by tweaking the settings - you can't do this in FF.

13. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

petros, I never gad a problem with large sites, could you give me a link that ie has trouble with?

14. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I use both daily. I have them set up to access different accounts and to be honest I can't tell the difference. Sometimes I think i'm in IE and realise I'm using FF.

The one big difference is that FF NEVER arbitrarily changes my font size selection like IE does.

Use either, or both like I do.

Same deal with Outook and Eudora. I use one for work accounts and the other for personal accounts on the same machine.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  15. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I can't think of one popup that has ever got through firefox's popup blocker that wasn't wanted, e.g. forum attachment window or a link I've clicked to open.

16. technokid88

technokid88 Part of a System Folding Team

I used to only use IE but switched over to fire fox, its so fast and quite, I noticed IE is slow and always makes those clicking sounds when running it on vista. I know you can prob turn them off but i don't feel like looking for it. So a big fan of Fire Fox now.

17. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

well.. im using ie7 till ff3 comes out and, in my opinion, firefox is way better

even the 2.0 version seems lighter (on my system), so i cant wait to check the new one with all the memory improvements

and i also love the fact that there are so many extensions available which helps the browser suit ur needs even a bit more (adblock is the best btw, i think the reason im missing ff most)

18. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

I use FF for all the nice plugins.

19. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

def the same

20. cyber

cyber OSNN One Post Wonder

I have been using Firefox for the past couple of years and I think that it is definitely better than IE.

The sheer number of plugins available for FF tilts the balance. Mouse gestures, download manager, web developer and thousands of cool plugins are hard to beat.

The only downfall of FF that I have noticed is, that it does have some memory leaks. I once left my FF on with 30+ tabs overnight and it consumed all of my 2GB of RAM.