Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

hey guys, have u heard about real time clock on ur cpu, just wondering if it really work?

Can someone compress all the tweaks of this thread to an html file, if any more have been added? BTW where the heck is the old one, there is no way in hell that I am going to search 52 pages for it :p

I've searched around but haven't found these... thought I'd go ahead and add them. They are supposed to give your hard disk better performance by eliminating some extra information that it has to keep track of.

Turn Off 8.3 File Name Creation
Note: This probably shouldn't be done if you have older apps installed.
Enter this from the Command Prompt:
FSUTIL BEHAVIOR SET DISABLE8DOT3 1

Disable Last Access Timestamp
Note: If you don't care about when something was last accessed, then go ahead and do this.
FSUTIL BEHAVIOR SET DISABLELASTACCESS 1

thank you for those tweaks Muzikool... they have become handy, i have noticed a slight increase in hard drive performance :)

ive put it back on :rolleyes:

*i dont think anyone noticed :eek: * hehe :p

Suprisingly, didnt affect my norton... but that maybe because i havent rebooted :eek:

best to be safe than sorry tho :D

Yeah Enyo, that's good to know. I was under the impression that it would only affect older (legacy?) apps mostly. I will turn it back on as well, cause like Alex_is_Axel said, better safe than sorry.

It's hard to believe that they are still writing it the old way. I guess it became habit for many, and that it won't change completely until the time when everyone writing apps learned to do so using the longer filenames. :rolleyes:

How to place a shortcut with a color/greyscale icon on the IE Toolbar that will link to anywhere designated:

Start > Run > Type: gpedit.msc

User Configurations > Windows Settings > Internet Maintenance > Browser User Interface > Double-Click: Browser Toolbar Customizations > Add

A window prompt will appear for the following options:

Toolbar Caption (Required) = the name you want to appear for your icon.
Toolbar Action, As Script File or Executable (Required) = the destination you wish the icon to find when clicked.
Toolbar Color Icon (Required) = the icon that will appear on the toolbar when you “mouse-over” the icon.
Toolbar Grayscale Icon (Required) = the icon that will appear on the toolbar.

In order to set the icon on the toolbar of IE, you must have IE activated on a web page; i.e., if you have the home page set to blank, you will first have to access a page bfore you can customize the toolbar.

Right-Click: Toolbar > Customize

Add the icon from left panel to the right. From the right panel you can drag up or down and even set separators for the toolbar so it appears as desired.

To ensure the toolbar icon will open in a new window and not interfere with the current window, apply the following reg-tweak:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"AllowWindowReuse"=dword:00000000

:p

smith and leedog...unbelieveable tweaks here ...these are two incredible posts guys.

I'll be putting both if these on my box asap.

thanx bunches

oh, smith, wlecome to this board...that's one great first post.

thanx for putting it up

Can we get Leedogg's searches compiled into registry entries like Speedy_B's Google search and themafia69's eBay search? That would be great because I don't use tweakui.

Don't know if anyone has posted this but here is something I found for all you that hate the Title on Inernet Explorer

Change the Text of Internet Explorer's Title Bar

The title bar of Internet Explorer displays the text "Microsoft Internet Explorer," along with the title of the page you're visiting. If you're tired of constantly being assaulted with images and words from Big Green up in Redmond, you can change that text to anything that you want – including "My Other Computer Runs Linux":

1. From a command line or from the Run line, run regedit. This opens the Registry Editor.

2. Select the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER and follow the folder path \Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.

3. Add a new String Value named Window Title. In the Value field type in the text you want to appear and then hit OK.

4. Close Internet Explorer if it's open, and restart it. The title bar will now have your new text.

5. If you want your title bar to have no text in it aside from the title of the page you're currently visiting, create the Window Title string value, but leave the Value field empty.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back