Elite Torrent Raided by Feds

since the news i have come to realise that perhaps this is a bigger issue than most of us think. Sure we all joke about the mpaa and other organisations being greedy, but who is it that is downloading the movies and not wishing to pay... the pirates.

I was a member of the site, for possibly 3 weeks. But this whole situation has changed my view on everything. I now use Ubuntu removing windows from my system because i actually dont own an official license. All dvds that i had have been destroyed, all music that isnt officialy licensed has been destroyed, all software that wasnt officially licensed, destroyed. Im sure you get the picture.

What has come of this, well i have got to understand of a few new linux programs that i never knew of before. I now use GPG instead of PGP, i use OOo, i listen to streaming radio stations instead of downloading albums. In the past few days i can see it making a difference already.

I wont use windows again until Longhorn is released, which i have already stated i will be buying a licence for. However by the time of its release, i may just be far too intouch with the opensource world.

My philosophy now is, if i cant afford it, i dont need it. and it works :)

muzikool said:
Better not download Episode III! :eek:
lol or you could download it here in saudi lol they're not even gonna bother try and get us lol

SPeedy_B said:
As is IRC, other torrent sites, HTTP Warez and all the private scene FTP servers.
and you buddies that wont be caught downloading :D
well this kinda fall under FTP servers i guess but oh well :D i guess

Son Goku said:
Speaking of foot in mouth...I was not expecting to hear this :eek: I'm gathering ep0niks wasn't either...

LOL Hey its ok we all got our own opinions , as far as the whole downloading thing goes well yes Videotron is owned by Quebecor and they are the whole multimedia movement here in Quebec they own 2 major newspapers , tv stations the ISP we talked about Videotron and many other publications , so its a tough place for them to be in when talking about movies and music.

Me personally I dont download a huge amount of anything I have tried a few games and when I liked them and I saw we would play them I buy them and I dont see that as anything bad.

PS: If everyone acted the same way and just said why should I pay for anything imagine where we would would end up. In the end you need to look at it as if it was your hard work and your time and money invested. We all expect to be paid at the end of the week after we put in 40 hours. And hey before you start with hell they are all millionaires , the guys packing the boxes and amps, the people making the stages and painting the backgrounds, the electriciens and sound crews , the truck drivers , bus drivers , and what not , I got news for you they are not millionaires and when we just take and take and dont pay for music , games , movies , software in the end your stealing in my opinion from everyday people. Thats my take on it.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
PS: If everyone acted the same way and just said why should I pay for anything imagine where we would would end up. In the end you need to look at it as if it was your hard work and your time and money invested. We all expect to be paid at the end of the week after we put in 40 hours. And hey before you start with hell they are all millionaires , the guys packing the boxes and amps, the people making the stages and painting the backgrounds, the electriciens and sound crews , the truck drivers , bus drivers , and what not , I got news for you they are not millionaires and when we just take and take and dont pay for music , games , movies , software in the end your stealing in my opinion from everyday people. Thats my take on it.
Though true in a sense I hate those MPAA ads. :p I do feel though that if you market something in a way people want you will/would find more willing to pay then perhaps you find currently. Also alot of people "demo" beforehand as the economy sucks and everyone only has so much $. Most stores won't take back opened games/movies/ect. anymore even if you bought it with legit intentions and just found it sucked/didn't work/ect.</babble>

*edit* - I would like to see, maybe some of these folks that work just has hard (if not harder), then the folks that get the big bucks perhaps get more of the cut instead of 3rd partys *cough* **AA *cough* gobbling up so much and the crying about it.

Xie said:
Though true in a sense I hate those MPAA ads. :p I do feel though that if you market something in a way people want you will/would find more willing to pay then perhaps you find currently. Also alot of people "demo" beforehand as the economy sucks and everyone only has so much $. Most stores won't take back opened games/movies/ect. anymore even if you bought it with legit intentions and just found it sucked/didn't work/ect.</babble>

This is a problem... Most products, you buy it, don't like it, and have the option to return it for a full refund. Media products on the other hand... And unlike many other products which can be returned...a media product you have to open and watch, play, or whatever to know if you're going to like. It isn't like buying towels for the bathroom (returnable) where you can see the color of it before you pay for the thing...

Throw in price fixing, where every store in a given country can have exactly the same price, every store in another country can have a different one (aka one for the US and another for the UK). Without competition amongst stores, there isn't something to help moderate the price, and at least with music some recording artists have come forward in this whole debate to say that they don't see much from CD sales... Rather their bread and butter is concerts and the like...

Then there's stuff so old, it isn't in publication anymore, but... By the original intent of the copyright, as intended by our fore fathers, it was to be for a limited time and was to be balanced against the interests of fair use, with things falling into the public domain. What one finds today are blanket copyrights, where even the words in the Federalist Papers and others from people who died around 200 years ago has gotten included with the rest... As someone commented about this, James Madison would probably be surprised if he saw his own words included in a blanket copyright (among someone elses commentary on them) in this manner...

Instead, the period has perpetually been extended by Congress at the bidding of the media industry, and yet it was never intended to be a corporate ownership (and it really is more about corporate ownership, then a copyright to the artists as individuals as the individual creative talent, themself) over someone's work, for all posterity... Any many of these things that haven't fallen into the public domain because of this (and yet have for sometime been out of be it publication, recording, whatever), can be for all intents and purposes, impossible to find...

In the copyright clause, they had another portion (other then limited time) and that was the intention of furthering the arts and sciences... I've seen cases where some have claimed their ability to do research has been hindered by this (in direct opposition to the intent of furthering the sciences), and when things don't eventually fall into the public domain this could arguably hinder progress in the arts as well... We've come to a point where some have attempted to copyright a musical chord even, by accounts I've previously heard.

And that's not even getting into TV shows, that are already broadcast over what is supposed to be the public's air waves...

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back