Dual Gigabit on mobo question.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am wondering what is the good reason/application to have two gigabit ports on the mobo?

What could the second one be used for?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Computer clustering, using the computer as a router, alot of things, it just not practical.

I find it usefull for plugging a computer in to mine and networking between the two for data-transfer of silly amounts of the stuff (ie hard disk contents). It's just as fast as plugging the disk into my pc but requires less screwdrivers :D

I used my second one to re-configure an additional router. But unless you have 2 networks or you're planning on making a gateway its not really needed.

yeah.... it's basically used mostly for what EPK said. but mostly if you don't have a router or something of the sort. if you have a router, data transfer can be done through the already existent network from the router.

Other than that...... maybe internet connection sharing without using a crappy USB connection to your modem? maybe NAS (Network Access Storage in case u didn't know)? maybe some motherboard manufacturer decided to say "HEY!!! i've got the most BRILLIANT idea....... let's add another gigabit lan port........ just to screw with people's heads!!"?

Kind of figured it was a waste of real estate on a mobo.

Thanks for the responses, Guys.

Heeter

I use mine.

Nvidia is the internal side, and the *steevo draws a blank* is the DSL side. DSL sharing and routing offered, plus faster browsing and installs, as my system holds the up to date images.

I actually have two NICs on a machine here, but they are not gigabit. I have two seperate networks within my own at my condo, one is for testing without internet access, and the other is for production, and obviously has access :)

I may be upgrading some hardware in the future, and who knows, I may go dual gigabit :lick:

Steevo said:
I use mine.

Nvidia is the internal side, and the *steevo draws a blank* is the DSL side. DSL sharing and routing offered, plus faster browsing and installs, as my system holds the up to date images.

Using it as a Ghost server is about the best reason I can think of as well, on a seperate network as mentioned previously :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back