Dual Gigabit on mobo question.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Heeter, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

I am wondering what is the good reason/application to have two gigabit ports on the mobo?

What could the second one be used for?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

2. XeoNoX

XeoNoX OSNN Senior Addict

Computer clustering, using the computer as a router, alot of things, it just not practical.

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I find it usefull for plugging a computer in to mine and networking between the two for data-transfer of silly amounts of the stuff (ie hard disk contents). It's just as fast as plugging the disk into my pc but requires less screwdrivers :D

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I used my second one to re-configure an additional router. But unless you have 2 networks or you're planning on making a gateway its not really needed.

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

yeah.... it's basically used mostly for what EPK said. but mostly if you don't have a router or something of the sort. if you have a router, data transfer can be done through the already existent network from the router.

Other than that...... maybe internet connection sharing without using a crappy USB connection to your modem? maybe NAS (Network Access Storage in case u didn't know)? maybe some motherboard manufacturer decided to say "HEY!!! i've got the most BRILLIANT idea....... let's add another gigabit lan port........ just to screw with people's heads!!"?

6. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Kind of figured it was a waste of real estate on a mobo.

Thanks for the responses, Guys.

Heeter

7. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

I use mine.

Nvidia is the internal side, and the *steevo draws a blank* is the DSL side. DSL sharing and routing offered, plus faster browsing and installs, as my system holds the up to date images.

8. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I actually have two NICs on a machine here, but they are not gigabit. I have two seperate networks within my own at my condo, one is for testing without internet access, and the other is for production, and obviously has access :)

I may be upgrading some hardware in the future, and who knows, I may go dual gigabit :lick:

9. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

Using it as a Ghost server is about the best reason I can think of as well, on a seperate network as mentioned previously :)