DoS Attempt on my E-mail

So I am on hold with 1and1 right now, if they won't budge, does anyone have an ISP that will allow them to block e-mail on the Domain Level?

EDIT: All they said I could do was send a message to abuse@1and1.com and they will "handle" it. This should be interesting....

If anyone knows of a host that will let me do that, please advise.

Last edited:
I'd suggest reporting him to both Yahoo and Ebay. I'm sure you're not the only user of theirs who doesn't want to have to deal with this when bidding on an auction. Also send them copies of the email history (though the trick is finding a way not to open them, or to open them if needed with a text only email program like Pine). Heck, if you can handle them in a UNIX shell account (which incidently can't run your x86 executable code anyhow) in a text only email prog, that might be best. That's how I deal with questionable email (rather then download it to my PC directly).

BTW, some ISPs, such as the one I have, has server level anti-virus software installed, in addition to anti-spam software. This includes both white lists and black lists (which one can use respectively to flag certain email as always being good, hence skipping spam checking, or blacklist so it always gets dumped in the spam folder). My ISP is Speakeasy, though they're a DSL (well they also have T1 services, but rather pricey for the home) provider. Depending where you are, you might not qualify for DSL. They do have domain hosting services as well...

Ah, the not so wonderful world of the email spammer. :down: I ran into that on another forum. The names I won't give. But the gist is one individual ended up becomming a mod there, and sent a rather (and it was forwarded to me, as the person was a friend) obnoxious, abusive, and highly objectionable email. So when the person replied (that part he hadn't mentioned to me, but he did mention his views on the initial email), the person then proceeded to post his reply email (minus the initial email) on the sites front page as news for all to view. Name and all...

So I woke up, and there was a whole thread on this. I was like "hold the phone, this is the email which was sent first which sparked all of this" and re-produced the email. Not on the front page, but burried in the forum thread started on that to set the record straight on who said what to who...

Anyhow, as for me, he proceeded to send like 500 or 1,000 spam messages to me in about 24 hours, and got this personal dedication (both in the forums and out) to going after in addition to the friend he decided to start attacking in the first place. It ended with him sending obnoxious emails to the site's admin (and to the administrator for the web hosting provider), getting fired as a mod, and threatening a lawsuite.

I'd say contact Ebay also. Bidders don't need this.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
You need to learn to take a joke get off your high horse

Don't bait him.

k, as I've read through this whole thread, Xie I think said it first.

Call the cops.

He just sent me 51 e-mails! Stating him and his "brother" are going to pay me a visit :laugh:

man, the guy is dumb. he's threatening you - and can be arrested for the threat alone.
he's trying (unsuccessfully) to berate you into giving it back. get the authorities involved tonight if you can, and then sit back and relax. :)

His e-mail to me, some parts edited to protect contact info:

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:55 PM

Subject: MY DELL AXIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY LET ME MAKE SURE THIS IS ALL CORRECT BECAUSE IF I DON'T HEAR FROM YOU & GET MY MONEY MY BROTHER & I WILL BE GIVING YOU A LITTLE VISIT!!! HERE I DON'T WANT TO SHOW UP AT THE WRONG HOUSE SO PLEASE VERIFY YOUR INFORMATION: YOUR NAME: DEREK J ROSE, PHYSICAL ADDRESS 117 blue road, APARTMENT #1, CITY: SPRINGFIELD, STATE: MA, ZIP CODE: 01108, PHONE: (413) 218-5720. THANK YOU I'M SURE WE'LL BE IN TOUCH!!! LOL!!!

EDIT: what a moron, he says house but knows it's an apartment :)

If he even sneezes in my zip code, Po Po gonna roll up on his a$$

dude, edit out your name and addy unless you faked it for this thread.

Po Po is right.

CAPS IS FOR MORONS

THANK YOU I'M SURE WE'LL BE IN TOUCH!!! LOL!!!

people like this just should be castrated AND have the sh*t beat out of them. My god. i wish i was waiting at your house when they got there. I have this meantal image of two red neck yokles showing up in a rusted out truck. god.. hehe

please do edit it for your own sakes.

kcnychief: I would be happy to host your email for you and block individual senders as and when needed, you wont have the gigabytes of space that you get from gmail, hotmail, yahoo but I doubt you need that much space :D

If there was a dispute in an Ebay auction and this guy didn't feel like the matter could be discussed (but it sounds like he was the one that didn't want to discuss), then the disputing party should have contacted Ebay. They do have means for dispute resolution (and indicate that if necessary, they will cooperate with law enforcement) in addition to possibly banning the offending party. Definitely spamming one, launching denial of service attacks, and threatening to do bodily harm is not the way to resolve something of this nature.

What was done here is unacceptable for someone to get into for simply bidding on someone's auction, and I would definitely report this. tbh, a person like the dude described here, I would never want to buy anything from. I think many others would feel the same way. Though there might be a requirement to return it (or hand it over to the authorities as evidence); the selling of stolen goods through their site would not look all too good; and the email threats, coupled to attempts to launch a DoS attack against your systems that followed would look worse.

Furthermore, the selling of stolen goods (per Dell's indication) could be reason for dispute. He might not have known; but the reaction, I'm not sure. In either case, the selling of stolen goods isn't exactly legal; and the threats he's making aren't exactly legal either. You do have a case.

If the threats look serious, contacting the legal authorities might also be a good idea.

Edit: Sazar is the forum Dell guy :) Perhaps he would have something to add, such as what sort of documentation/proof Dell could provide you with... But if you can possibly get written confirmation from Dell that this item shows up as stolen, try to get it. This would constitute proof to back up your case.

Save all emails (further proof), and also print out the auction page from Ebay that demonstrates how you got this, and that you got it from this individual. Either with Ebay (for dispute resolution) or with the authorities; you need all the evidence you can get to back up the claim. With such evidence right in hand, your case looks to have some strength.

Last edited:
BTW, I'm not sure if I can get anything more from a legal standpoint; but the junior of my 2 Tia Chi teachers is a lawyer. Thing is, she also had to go in for an operation due to a growth (though not cancerious) that formed, not on the brain, but rather on the membrane that the brain is encased in and contains the cerebro-spinal fluid.

Perhaps when she's ready and feeling better, she might have something to add... For now, I would add three things you might need to be prepared for/protect yourself against:

1. Getting screwed over by a person that perhaps knowingly, though perhaps unknowngly is dealing in stolen merchandise.

2. The physical threads perhaps should not be dismissed. He has your address (which he would have needed to mail the item to you). Given this, he does know where you live.

He might sound stupid, but for all we know he could be involved in some crime ring (perhaps a thug) that deals in stolen goods. Don't know him, so can't say for sure...

3. If this gets reported, he could try to make it look you are the crook. It might be necessary to demonstrate that you in fact purchased this legitimately, without knowing it was stolen, and this piece of paper from Dell (if you can get something) shows what you have found out... It's best to be prepared (with evidence and all), in case he decides to come after you through official channels...

And on that, I really don't like the action of taking the law and using it as some form of a weapon against the very people it was designed to protect :mad:

Good luck. If there's something more I could provide, I will...

Official channels. heh. nice post(s) Son.

I can't wait to see his legal letters sent through these channels.... IN CAPS

;)

Son Goku said:
BTW, I'm not sure if I can get anything more from a legal standpoint; but the junior of my 2 Tia Chi teachers is a lawyer. Thing is, she also had to go in for an operation due to a growth (though not cancerious) that formed, not on the brain, but rather on the membrane that the brain is encased in and contains the cerebro-spinal fluid.

Perhaps when she's ready and feeling better, she might have something to add... For now, I would add three things you might need to be prepared for/protect yourself against:

1. Getting screwed over by a person that perhaps knowingly, though perhaps unknowngly is dealing in stolen merchandise.

2. The physical threads perhaps should not be dismissed. He has your address (which he would have needed to mail the item to you). Given this, he does know where you live.

He might sound stupid, but for all we know he could be involved in some crime ring (perhaps a thug) that deals in stolen goods. Don't know him, so can't say for sure...

3. If this gets reported, he could try to make it look you are the crook. It might be necessary to demonstrate that you in fact purchased this legitimately, without knowing it was stolen, and this piece of paper from Dell (if you can get something) shows what you have found out... It's best to be prepared (with evidence and all), in case he decides to come after you through official channels...

And on that, I really don't like the action of taking the law and using it as some form of a weapon against the very people it was designed to protect :mad:

Good luck. If there's something more I could provide, I will...

Thanks for all the tips. I have decided I'm going to send it to his local Police Department and let them handle it. I don't really feel like dealing with this.

Also, I save every e-mail, since about 3 years ago when I started doing that. So I'm covered :)

LordOfLA said:
kcnychief: I would be happy to host your email for you and block individual senders as and when needed, you wont have the gigabytes of space that you get from gmail, hotmail, yahoo but I doubt you need that much space :D

Thanks for the offer, but If I can't find a hosting package, I will probably host it myself on my server.

VenomXt said:
people like this just should be castrated AND have the sh*t beat out of them. My god. i wish i was waiting at your house when they got there. I have this meantal image of two red neck yokles showing up in a rusted out truck. god.. hehe

please do edit it for your own sakes.

Changed, :)

Mastershakes said:

Po Po is right.

CAPS IS FOR MORONS

I did change my important information, no worries.

EDIT: I'm not too worried, the guy lives in ID and I live in MA

Last edited:
Mastershakes said:
Official channels. heh. nice post(s) Son.

I can't wait to see his legal letters sent through these channels.... IN CAPS

;)

:laugh: One thing's for certain, if he were the one to try to contact the authorities, he wouldn't necesarily be honest. But the best defence against someone like that would be the truth, and the evidence which demonstrates that truth...

Even if this guy didn't know the item was stolen when he tried to sell it (and as such thought he had a case); what he did afterwards wasn't exactly legal. Threats, computer crimes (trying to launch denial of service attacks and break into other people's systems isn't exactly legal). He blew it...

kcnychief said:
Thanks for all the tips. I have decided I'm going to send it to his local Police Department and let them handle it. I don't really feel like dealing with this.

Yeah, understandable. It's unfortunate, and also a bit unfair that this was dumped in your lap. And given that it's rather doubtful he listed the item as stolen (else Ebay might well have pulled the auction on grounds their site isn't for selling illegally obtained goods), there doesn't seem to be a way you could have known.

One thing is important, and that's protecting yourself from any possible action that could be taken. Afterall, you do have stolen merchandise in your posession, but innocently from the sound of it.

Actually, the more I think of it, the more I think this should not be sent back to the individual. He doesn't exactly have a legal claim to the item. I might be mistaken, but if anyone has a legal claim, it would be Dell. It was their item which was stolen. Now if it were me, and he didn't act like a grade A arsehole (and I had reason to believe he didn't know either), I would probably try to work something out so he wouldn't get screwed over either. But after what he pulled...

Contacting the police ASAP is a good move though, as it also clears you of question of wrong doing in the matter. You found out it was stolen, and then you took the necessary steps to notify the authorities on the whole matter. This done in a timely fashion would be responsible action on your part, and I'm not sure the law could expect more of you.

One piece of advise. Be up front, and totally honest wrt how this all transpired. You weren't the wrong doer, and the truth can indemnify you in this. Especially where evidence is readily at hand. Whatever they need (be it the item, a statement, whatever), be prepared to cooperate.

You might leave negative feedback, and mention the dealing in stolen merchandise. If he leaves negative feedback, be up front. If the authorities want the item (as evidence) let them confiscate it as such. If he leaves negative feedback, indicate it was found that he was selling stolen merchandise, and the item was turned over to the police at their request (if this is what happens).

If they don't, the next matter left would be whatever Dell's policy on this is. They do have a legal claim to the item, but I can't speak for Dell. Would they try to recover the item, would they come after you? Sorry, I can't say... They might want the item back, and if the authorities don't want it (perhaps the police should be asked what you should do with this), perhaps it should be sent to Dell.

Hopefully saz can get back to you on

1. Whether there is something in the way of formal indication (which would be acceptable in the eyes of the law) to indicate this was stolen, should you need this...

2. What their policy is when someone has rather innocently, and at the time unknowingly gotten ahold of stolen Dell merchandise. What they might do (legally or otherwise in trying to recover this stolen item) or if they would. And what you should do (from their standpoint) in this regard...

Son Goku said:
Yeah, understandable. It's unfortunate, and also a bit unfair that this was dumped in your lap. And given that it's rather doubtful he listed the item as stolen (else Ebay might well have pulled the auction on grounds their site isn't for selling illegally obtained goods), there doesn't seem to be a way you could have known.

One thing is important, and that's protecting yourself from any possible action that could be taken. Afterall, you do have stolen merchandise in your posession, but innocently from the sound of it.

Actually, the more I think of it, the more I think this should not be sent back to the individual. He doesn't exactly have a legal claim to the item. I might be mistaken, but if anyone has a legal claim, it would be Dell. It was their item which was stolen. Now if it were me, and he didn't act like a grade A arsehole (and I had reason to believe he didn't know either), I would probably try to work something out so he wouldn't get screwed over either. But after what he pulled...

Contacting the police ASAP is a good move though, as it also clears you of question of wrong doing in the matter. You found out it was stolen, and then you took the necessary steps to notify the authorities on the whole matter. This done in a timely fashion would be responsible action on your part, and I'm not sure the law could expect more of you.

One piece of advise. Be up front, and totally honest wrt how this all transpired. You weren't the wrong doer, and the truth can indemnify you in this. Especially where evidence is readily at hand. Whatever they need (be it the item, a statement, whatever), be prepared to cooperate.

You might leave negative feedback, and mention the dealing in stolen merchandise. If he leaves negative feedback, be up front. If the authorities want the item (as evidence) let them confiscate it as such. If he leaves negative feedback, indicate it was found that he was selling stolen merchandise, and the item was turned over to the police at their request (if this is what happens).

If they don't, the next matter left would be whatever Dell's policy on this is. They do have a legal claim to the item, but I can't speak for Dell. Would they try to recover the item, would they come after you? Sorry, I can't say... They might want the item back, and if the authorities don't want it (perhaps the police should be asked what you should do with this), perhaps it should be sent to Dell.

Hopefully saz can get back to you on

1. Whether there is something in the way of formal indication (which would be acceptable in the eyes of the law) to indicate this was stolen, should you need this...

2. What their policy is when someone has rather innocently, and at the time unknowingly gotten ahold of stolen Dell merchandise. What they might do (legally or otherwise in trying to recover this stolen item) or if they would. And what you should do (from their standpoint) in this regard...

VERY good points. I think I will work with Dell and the Local PD before acting, to make sure we are all on the same page. He actually left me positive feedback like a day after the auction ended (go figure), so I'm in the clear there. Which is good, because I have sold on eBay for almost 6 years now and I have 99.9% positive, some doofus left me a negative in my first month or so I think.

He sends me e-mail like a mother, and I have a feeling he's some skinny little twirp who thinks that I'm scared since I haven't replied. But I'm more playing possum, letting him get his "jollies" on, and just saving everything. I don't want to fuel the fire or let him grow wise to what I'm planning. Hopefully, he'll just get sick of seeing himself type (in his billions of e-mails) and stop.

Just to follow up on this a bit.....

I sent an e-mail off to 1and1, no reply, but apparently his e-mails are being blocked. He did create a new yahoo account, and has begun again. I have contacted the local PD in his area, and am sending the unit back tomorrow. I am going to call him tomorrow, (I tried tonight twice without an answer), and explain to him what I have done. This being how I have contacted his PD, how they, eBay, and Yahoo have all been notified, and if he tries anything from this day forward, I will press charges.

This is such a headache, I'm really starting to hate eBay...

kcnychief said:
This is such a headache, I'm really starting to hate eBay...
I'm not asking for his username, but I'm curious what his Ebay rating was (and how many feedbacks left)?

Xie said:
I'm not asking for his username, but I'm curious what his Ebay rating was (and how many feedbacks left)?

When I bought it, it was 0. He now has 20 because he sells ALOT, and 1 negative. I am going to leave him a negative soon as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back