Do we need a National ID Card?

Should the U.S. have a National ID card?

• Yes, I think we should have a National ID card

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • No, I don't think we should have a National ID card

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I'm not sure one way or the other

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
When you go to the store and use your debit card to buy food your already tracked , I am sure most everyone uses a debit card here. I think freedoms are improtant but how do you want your leaders to keep track on people that you yourself would not want in your towns and cities? If you dont allow some kind of id system? I mean if you want they can spend billions on getting all the states to exchange all the different types of id's ( which they do to a certain point anyways ) or make a central id system .

Kermit kind of touched on my second post in this thread. Nobody commented on it, though, and I think it relates well to this topic.

There's too much to gain from this with too little to lose. Gun control hasn't taken all our guns away (due to watchdog-funtioning groups like the NRA), despite people claiming that it would. Probably won't happen with ID cards either.

I'm not a really big slippery slope kind of guy. Go walk on a slippery slope sometime...maybe you might fall, but most of the time you don't, due to the level of caution you exercise.

only way i see this as a "good thing", giving these ID cards to people that are criminals that get out on parole or serverd their time or what not. for the avg. citizen there is no need. their doing this to make things easier for them and a way to get monye, cuz you know we will have to pay for this one way or another.

this country freaking blows. so much for being a good country. maybe people will stop coming here.... sorry for the rant im done.

idle one problem with that, that i think happens here alot, not that there are alot of criminals or anything, but here since the id system for us teens is not so solid, you arent asked much for id or what not so if in the states they do that only for the criminals, the iding wouldnt be as strict as say for cigs for teens etc

Hmmmm....I'm all for beefing up national security, but, I think I have to say no to the national id. The Govt doesn't need (another) centralized database of it's citizens. More gun control measures will come shortly after that I'm sure...then, well, without those freedoms your not a citizen...your a subject. Fook that.

muzikool said:
themafia.69 lives in Saudi Arabia. Are we going to copy their policies?
yeah you probably should, crime here is very low, my friend was telling me that some people tried to steal his car, thats the first time i hear about something like that and ive lived here for 15 years. yeah it happens but no way like the states.and here in saudi its very safe, i wouldnt worry walking around at 3 or 4am in the street, maximum thing that would scare me would be stray dogs.

IDLE said:
this country freaking blows. so much for being a good country. maybe people will stop coming here.... sorry for the rant im done.

How much perspective do you have to support that statement?

i.e. How many countries have you lived in?

Last Monday our peaceful tolerant allies hacked off the hand of a pickpocket: Saudi Arabia severs hand of Bangladeshi for theft. Barbaric punishments such as public amputations and beheadings are supposed to keep Saudi Arabia crime-free. (That’s what Arab News editor John R. Bradley said; would he lie?) But the headsmen and amputation doctors don’t seem to be in danger of unemployment.

Yeah well they dont have the same laws as we do huh lol

I'm telling you, what's happening to America is a really good thing....no body should be complaigning, it's un American if you dissagree with anything this administration proposes

we really do nwant everyone to be able to track everything we do and everything we buy...what do you have to be afraid of if you haven't done anything wrong, and if you aren't going anywhere bad?

and we really have to let police invent whatever charges they want to invent...this way,they can put into prison anyone that they don't like...this is a great thing, cuz they are usually correct if they don't like someone, so it's best to put these types of peeps in jail

this country is becoming so much better, it's really hard to describe

I wouldn't have a problem with it, to be honest. I already carry credit cards, a university student ID card, a permanent resident card, etc. Having one more wouldn't hurt. :D

There's been talk of this same thing in Canada.
I'm for it.
I can already be traced via bank card use, internet use, etc etc... I have nothing to hide from the authorities.

Been talk of having these in the UK too and I have to agree with it.
Have you ever tried opening a bank account these day's??My daughter didn't had a valid passport (ran out 3 year ago) and as she was only 17 she had no other official means of ID eg drivers license so no bank would allow her an account,we had to send of to renew her passport just for this reason.
Also my mother doesn't have a drivers license or passport so even at age 60 she isn't able to open a new bank account :speechless:

I say no.

It will make it harder for the diverse population to live and just be a added burden to our lives. We can already get a state ID card if we are so inclined, or a drivers liceanse or any number of businesses make photo ID's.

I see it as a way to classify people and thus further propagate differences between them.

In some countries you cannot buy supplies or food without a card, but you must swear your allegiance to that government or country. No thanks.

for those of you that have said it's fine;

ben franklin;

those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security.

I agree with this founding father, and I suppose he would look at those of you that would rather your security then your freedom and wonder

If you look at our history even during war times (WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War...) we never needed to have this sort if thing. We have always had state IDs for where we live. Now they say we should have National ones due to all this terrorism? We have always had some sort of terrorism. Hell durring the "cold war" era the Gov was always freaked out about spies and "s;eeper agents" that could undermine the nation's security. We didn't have national IDs then.

As soon as it's factual (not a conspiracy theory) that national cards will take away from our freedom I will side against them.

As soon as it's factual (not a conspiracy theory) that national cards will take away from our freedom I will side against them.
in my opinion, you've had it, since the very concept makes it so.

wait too long for the "proof of concept" you're looking for and you've waited too long indeed

Last edited:
Wake up everyone. We are already tracked by our SSN#, credit card transactions, Driver's license, bank transactions, vehichle registrations, etc that can be used to track our every movement in the country already. If a government agency wanted to track every movement of your day, they already could do so without the need for a national id card. These cards wouldn't be taking away anymore of our privacy than what we already surrender when we sign up for a bank account, credit card, driver's license, library card, insurance, job, etc. This would be no different than the government issuing an updated SSN card and telling you that you need to use it as your main source of ID. Seeing as our ssn# is already used to track almost all our financial transactions. You don't believe me? Go out and grab an application for a credit card. Take a look at the information you need to provide when you submitt the application, and take note of where it asks for your SSN#. Then go to your local bank and ask to open a bank account, or take out a loan. Look at the application and take note of where it asks you for your SSN#. Go out to a local business that have job applications available. Pick one up, take a look at it and take note of where you are asked for your *gasp* SSN#. And the list literally keeps going on of how you're already tracked through your SSN#.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back