Disable and NIC from the command line

M

MartinC

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there'e some way to disable a network device from the Windows XP command line prompt.

I need to diable the second NIC on a group of PC's and would prefer not to have to use device manager on each machine.

Thanks

MartinC

sure there is, its called "group policies", but its not done from the command line. Im pretty sure it would be alot easier for you to walk over and disable them. Otherwise the answer to yoru question is no.

Another method you might consider is to put the network device's connection icon in the taskbar. Then you can right-click it and disable the connection easily. You can also put a Quick Launch to turn it back on quickly.

In Network Connections, right click the connection that the device uses. Go into Properties and Select the "Show icon..." checkbox.

After that you can do another right-click and "Create Shortcut", then move that shortcut to the Quick Launch area.

This doesn't actually disable the device itself, but it effectively turns off any traffic going through it. This is how I turn off the network to the other computers in my house when I need to.

-JG

Hello,

You can disable a network connection by command line.

DevCon Command Line Utility Alternative to Device Manager.

Please access this Microsoft support page that it will show How can you manage Device manager by command prompt.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311272

I need to disable a NIC as a normal user into the command prompt, not as a administrator..if someone could help me how can I execute this command as a normal user. (I need to automate a process, then I could not interect with the command like "runas command" that I needed to supress the passwor manualy).

Thanks.

hey guests why dont you joing osnn be members :D you'll get better help and other members will be able to help you better ask you become more familiar to them :)
Click here

look at the dates and then think of what happend to the forums a year ago :).

TittleBitties said:
look at the dates and then think of what happend to the forums a year ago :).
oh cool i've never really noticed the dates over the posts, well let it be a lesson for future guest.... :speechless:

They aren't guests, they are ghosts. The come from threads now long forgotten in the mists of time... *makes spooky sounds* :twisted:

Does anyone else ever wonder if the people in these ancient posts ever solved their problems?

Meaning less comment but it rolled me over to post 2100...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back