December 2005, Database Rollback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Another rollback - WHAT?

Just how did you manage to get it? Kept on crawling Google?

Grandmaster said:
Nope. Didn't you use it as a favicon for your site at one point?

I still have the 16x16 icon that you made.

Grandmaster said:
Just how did you manage to get it? Kept on crawling Google?
1) Did a Google Search for "site:forum.osnn.net" followed by the specific terms I was looking for. That restricted the search only to our forum.
2) Opened up cached versions of all the pages in each thread in different tabs and saved all of them.
3) Cleaned them all up by opening in Wordpad and doing a Find-and-Replace to remove all the highlighting and other extraneous stuff that Google adds to the cached pages.
4) Uploaded them all.

After the first couple of pages, it went really quick actually. The PDC thread was the longest one (7 pages) and it's up now. The individual CTP threads are much shorter, so I'll be able to get those done faster. :)

NetRyder said:
1) Did a Google Search for "site:forum.osnn.net" followed by the specific terms I was looking for. That restricted the search only to our forum.
2) Opened up cached versions of all the pages in each thread in different tabs and saved all of them.
3) Cleaned them all up by opening in Wordpad and doing a Find-and-Replace to remove all the highlighting and other extraneous stuff that Google adds to the cached pages.
4) Uploaded them all.

After the first couple of pages, it went really quick actually. The PDC thread was the longest one (7 pages) and it's up now. The individual CTP threads are much shorter, so I'll be able to get those done faster. :)

All hail Google and Kunal :)

That pretty much means we should be able to recover any thread as long as it was old enough and spidered...

That's how I found my signature.

Grandmaster said:
All hail Google and Kunal :)

That pretty much means we should be able to recover any thread as long as it was old enough and spidered...
Yep, so if you think of any threads that were particularly useful for future reference, just save the cached copies on your drive. They're not going to be online forever. I believe Google removes them after a certain period of time if the actual page itself no longer exists. :)

This could almost become another Legacy Mod effort, but it's far more painful this time. :D

The Windows Update thread was a good one. I'll dig.

Another tip - it looks like MSN's search results might be more "fresh" in certain cases. I had heard about this before, but experienced it for the first time today. Sazar's Trading Post guidelines thread isn't in the Google search results, but I was able to retrieve the contents of the post from the MSN Search cache. So try both of them if you're looking for something to salvage.

Also, MSN doesn't do the query highlighting on the cached pages, so the cleanup process can almost be skipped. Find, save, upload. Not bad. :D

NetRyder said:
Another tip - it looks like MSN's search results might be more "fresh"

I had heard about this before, but experienced it for the first time today. Sazar's Trading Post guidelines thread isn't in the Google search results, but I was able to retrieve the contents of the post from the MSN Search cache. So try both of them if you're looking for something to salvage.

Also, MSN doesn't do the query highlighting on the cached pages, so the cleanup process can almost be skipped. Find, save, upload. Not bad. :D

Like I said in another thread, I'm impressed :D I guess MSN search is finally catching up with Google. (And in this case, surpassing it)

Love the way we bounce back everytime. Great job EP, X, NetRyder and all the rest of you. :)

*not so sad about losing all those razr posts/folks hehe

Solid Nets! But you lost the fan club avatar:cry:

falconguard said:
Solid Nets! But you lost the fan club avatar:cry:
It was starting to get a little too confusing. :D

NetRyder said:
4) Uploaded them all.

That is a great tactic. How could some of us non-mods to this, in regards to hosting and storage space?

Just for ha-ha's, I found a couple off the top of my head that we could revive :)

Good work mate :)
I'll be doing manual backups every night until I hear that X has his script working.

nice work NetRyder, I would give you rep, but I have to spread it around first apparently

ew, 10mb attachment limit :p

The cached threads from MSN Search are much easier. Good thinking. :)

Technically, we could restore post counts and reputation based on the latest cached pages just before the crash. I know, I know it doesn't matter blah blah blah blah... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back