CPU cooler for AMD 64 939?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NathanA, Apr 18, 2005.

1. NathanA

NathanA OSNN Addict

Hey guys...any suggestions as to a good CPU cooler for my AMD 64 3500+ (soc 939)? I would prefer not to have to take out the mobo, but will if it's mandatory. Cost is not an issue, but I do want an active fan-cooled unit. What do you suggest?

Thanks!

2. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Mine is fine with stock mmm not sure what to tell you , but I am sure thermaltake has something good

3. Kush

Kush High On Life!

all u have to do is open the window kermit :p yeah hes right thermaltake has some really good stuff

4. NathanA

NathanA OSNN Addict

Yeah mines pretty good with stock, but I wanna overclock a bit and want a little better cooler before doing so...just wondering if anyone has any experience with some of the aftermarket ones...

5. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

actually correct me if im wrong, but the aftermarket ones cool better than the stock ones, as that is their aim, i know mine does

7. NathanA

NathanA OSNN Addict

8. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Sure thing :p. Let me know how it works out for you. I was thinking about ordering one.

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Yeah the Freezer64 is probably one of the top 2 aftermarket 939 coolers you can get :D

10. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I like that arctic cooler think I might get me one

11. 762x51

762x51 168gr BTHP

12. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

I'm using the Zalman's solution though .. :)

13. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Zalman nealry killed the athlon64 I use right now....

14. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

15. wes_ocp

wes_ocp OSNN One Post Wonder

I wouldn't recommend the Freezer64 to anyone. Mine lasted about 2 weeks until the ceramic spindle in the fan broke and it ground to a halt, and it appears to be a common fault with them.
    Had it not been a heatpipe design it would probably have cooked my brand new chip.
    Don't get me wrong - while it worked it was quiet and kept the CPU about 5 degrees cooler than the stock one which is one there now, but i wouldn't risk it again.

I mailed Arctic Cooling... 3 weeks ago and still waiting for a response

16. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

It was exceedingly well glued to the chip. So I can testify that they make very good contact thi them so its probaly doing a ncie job of cooling...but when you want to take it out again....

It went BANG!! and popped out the socket. Few bent pins but nothing major. Its a testament to the definite improvement in build quality of amd cpus now.. but damn...you could probably have seen through me at tht pint in time...

I never want £200 of computer equipment to do that to me again... I dont need to be sheet white at the ripe young age of 24 :D

17. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Hahahaha... Ooops, sorry. I just got this mental pic... :eek: :p

18. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

thermaltake Silent Boost looks quite good. Not sure why they have other similar HSF with a fan controller though.

19. actually believe it or not canada is now like 25-30C yesterday on my way back from school it was 29 so opening the window might make it hotter :(

20. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

Pretty damn scary! I'm using a Zalman (92mm) for my A64 rig, seems to do its job pretty well...haven't been unlucky enough to have it fall apart on me yet. Think I might try and reapply the thermal solution later, gives me another reason to see if it's in properly :D

For an AMD 939 cooler, well, I haven't had any problems with my Zalman, so I could recommend that. There's also the Themalrite heatsink (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermalright_120.html), which with a 92mm fan of your choice, is a very good cooler. It's a very established company, and it looks like what the thermaltake (not to confuse the two!) X-90 is based heavily on.

CustomPC recommends the Akasa AK-913 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Akasa_119.html) in their latest round-up of AMD 939 coolers (the Artic cooler came second), but i'm not sure if its readily available in the states.