CPU cooler for AMD 64 939?

I was thinking. :eek: (no funny comment please) Why not get a bigger/deeper fan the size (outer dimensions) of the OEM one and switch them. Take the OEM fan off the OEM heat sink and install the bigger one. Like one of them tornado fans. yeah yeah, it's gonna be louder. I have never really cared if my rig sounded like a jet powering up for takeoff. :p But it would prolly cool da piss outta that CPU.

It would be nice if someone would just make/manufacture an OEM style Heatsink, but out of copper. Now that would work wonders.

[edit]
Also for everyone looking around for cooling solutions. Check the amount of fan blades on whatever you purchase or make. Applying Automotive cooling principles to this. A cooling fan that has more blades in it's configuration will move more air. Also the pitch of the blades is very important. More pitch more air it will grab, again moves more air. Some of these solutions I see, the fans have been down sized and blades reduced but the blade pitch is more pronounced. Meaning the can still move the same amount of air as a fan with more blades. But also the balance of the less bladed fans could be a factor. They could fail sooner that one with more. My opinion that one with more blades is a more balanced assembly and more efficient.

Also some say the more copper in the heatsink assembly the better. Copper will transfer 384 watts/meter-degree centigrade (w/m-°C) while aluminum only transfers 155 w/m-°C. Therefore copper is nearly two and half times more efficient at transferring heat than aluminum. In fact only silver is a better conductor of heat. Granted the density of copper is 3.3 times that of aluminum so your might think that the copper heatsink would weight 3.3 times as much but it doesn’t. Copper is 2.8 times stronger than aluminum as well so the copper doesn’t have to be as thick. But they both work very well. Plus the quantity of cooling fins. More fins more area to dissapate heat. Now as to the thickness of the base material on the heat sinks. Some are thicker than others. Meaning, two 8cm by 8cm square heatsinks with identical amount of fins cut into the top but the bases (solid area) are different depths/thickness. My opinion is that one with less solid area will be better. Because there is more cooling area due to more fin area.

But this is all coming from a gear head. So take it as an oppinion. :)

Last edited:
heeh I used to have a jet engine to cool my pentium 3 1000 had to stop using it cos the neighbours complained a bit :p but yeah never got much past 30C.

I believe cooling efficiency is more about surface area than fan speed as gonaads has mentioned, the fan is there to prevent hot air hanging around the fins reducing the thermal conductance of the air.

Ideally then you want as much fin surface area as you can get and shallow, high blade count fan rotating at 2000-2500 rpm. which should get you nice cooling without the noise. Obviously if you puta jet engine on you'd get better cooling as there will be much less warm air clining to the heatsink but you get the idea :D

Wow, guys I just flew back in town from Orlando...this thread has really taken off...and added many options...no I need to sort through everything and make a decision...any hard evidence as to which of the options will best benefit me?

LordOfLA said:
heeh I used to have a jet engine to cool my pentium 3 1000 had to stop using it cos the neighbours complained a bit :p but yeah never got much past 30C.

I cannot believe that your neighbours complained about a fan - i have heard some very loud fans in my time but not enough to have my neighbours complain.

THATS CRAZY LOUD!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back