Computer Upgrade - Finally

celticfan11 said:
my question is.... the last pc you built was AMD. and you praised that to no end and said never would you use intel again or sell intel. What happened to that?

I know I said that, and the difference is cost.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
What no one can come back and say that this is not a valid question to ask when see see the power consumption> sry but I only asked why Intel and I know why he was not left a choice when we went name brand because Intel bully's company's > .

the Intel Pentium 4 or Pentium D systems also consume more energy in idle mode - more than the Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 X2 under maximum load.

Also, the Yonah chip will address this power issue.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
I asked why he went with the Intel but then again if he is buying a pre-built name brand then we all know why , for some very strange reason AMD has been kept out of the name brand game , wonder if a certain court case comes to mind , but we see in sales now AMD is right on track and even leading intel in sales , HP now offers AMD servers and we see full page ads for HP / AMD which is new , but things are turning around , But its funny how you ask a question in short form around here and you get called a troll ... LOLOL

If I had the choice, I would have gone AMD. But, you are right, while Dell sells just AMD CPU's, they have yet to sell a system with it. I am partial to AMD, but I got such a deal on this PC, it was cost effective. Cost is a real big factor in any purchase.

madmatt said:
Derek, congratulations on the new system. You should be very happy with it (I know I am very happy with mine).

Thanks bro. To be honest, you were influential in my choice. I saw your specs and new you liked it, that helped me decide on Dell. That, plus the cheapo price :)

ELopes580 said:
I can't keep up.........

Maybe not, but you sure seem to keep track of my posts so you can give me sh*t about something :)

Kermit_The_Frog said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/09/amd/page20.html

And dont be so rude as to attack me on a personal level either thx.

Interesting read, but utilities are included where I live so power consumption doesn't bother me :p

Mastershakes said:
DJ - enjoy the newb PC, burn in some folding@home on it, bust out the good games (if you play em)

What's wrong with DELL? I don't see how that is a "newb" PC?

I'm sorry, but where did the thread owner start an Intel VS AMD debate? Keep all that crap out of this thread, and use this one.

Any further off topic posts will be deleted without warning.

Have fun with the new system Derek.

Grandmaster - thanks for cleaning up the thread, I appreciate it :)

AM/J79zlr - thanks for the wishes, I will be sure to post when I get it so I can say how much I adore it ;)

EDIT: Holy mother of god J79zlr :eek:, that pc is mad $$$$. Sweeeet rig though, hot dangit! :)

Last edited:
Its only money, can't take it with you ;)

Really I'm just waiting for it to drop maybe another $100 and I'll buy it. Next month is a 3-paycheck month.....

Hey I'm not knockin, just wish I was in your shoes.

Awesome, Awesome rig, now, stop hijacking my thread and stealing my thunder :p

Hijacking?

Why not AMD?

:lol:

One of these days we need to get SAZAR to cough up how Dell can give away a free monitor, printer and copy of Windows with each PC and still be making a profit.

nice rig "d" :) awaiting my tax return to build my Frankenstein...:smoker:

j79zlr said:

Countered with:
"Diminishing return of scale."
http://cepa.newschool.edu/het/essays/product/returns.htm
Bigger is only better up to a certain point.

Assembly hours can only be reduced so far. Labor costs can only be reduced to certain minimums even with off-shoring. WALMART is a good example. They have squeezed their suppliers so hard shoddy product became an issue over the last few years and is pushing customers over to Target.

Dell intrigues me.
-Printers they could get for free, street price often drops to the cost of a set of ink cartridges. They could negotiate "no cost" based on convinving suppliers they can sell high dollar "genuine" cartridges to the neophyte market.
-Windows they could get dirt cheap ($20 a copy) based on volume and built in proprietary features locking the Dell OEM OS to one specific machine.
-Intel is being indicted for monopolistic kickback schemes to system builders so the Processor prices could be well below street volume pricing.
-Indian call center tech support is obscenely low paid.
-Monitors, especially the LCD ones are still in too high demand for radical supplier discounts.

Their deals still amaze me given their generous warantee coverage. Either that or profit mark ups in the PC parts industry have gotten very high compared to cost to manufacture. Hmm.

You have to remember the assload of bloatware that dell uses as a marketing tool, e.g. the 90-day trail of NAV. Symantec probably pays Dell to ship with it, since Symantec knows they will be getting their renewal profits. Printers have been as cheap as the replacement cartidges for a while now. That is kinda the same racket as the AV software, they come with 1/4 full ink cartridges in them.

hmmm, me thinks a valid technical post with an analogy to hubs and switches disappeared from this thread, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might find it and any potential discussion that ensued?

j79zlr said:
You have to remember the assload of bloatware that dell uses as a marketing tool, e.g. the 90-day trail of NAV. Symantec probably pays Dell to ship with it, since Symantec knows they will be getting their renewal profits. Printers have been as cheap as the replacement cartidges for a while now. That is kinda the same racket as the AV software, they come with 1/4 full ink cartridges in them.

I agree 110% on the software aspect of your statement. However, I am formatting and loading my own image on the machine when it comes in, so that isn't a bother to me :p

LordOfLA said:
hmmm, me thinks a valid technical post with an analogy to hubs and switches disappeared from this thread, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might find it and any potential discussion that ensued?

It was around somewhere, something called "ZOMG AMD OWNNZZZ" or something. But, it appears it has either been deleted or moved to a moderator section.

LeeJend said:
One of these days we need to get SAZAR to cough up how Dell can give away a free monitor, printer and copy of Windows with each PC and still be making a profit.

LOL, well, I somehow doubt that Dell is paying the full retail price for that Windows liscense which you would be paying if you were to get a full install at a given retail outlet. More then likely, they're still getting some sort of discount on the thing from Microsoft, for buying the software in bulk... Given volume sales, MS can afford to offload the stuff relatively cheap, vs. what they charge an individual. That cost, is probably bundled into the cost of the PC as well, so whether it's "free" or not might be another matter... The monitor might itself be "free", or might have it's cost equated into the "packaged price". Not sure on that one...

I actually do have some idea, at least of some of the goings on in the past, as I used to know several people who worked in/owned their own OEM business. They also had contracts, and there were programs that as an Intel partner, they qualified for... I was also given access to the Microsoft dealer channels at that time, through a given login ID/password by the store owner, but that's another story entirely. 'nuff said...

As to some of the hardware, again OEM contracts with companies such as Intel, if it still holds that is, means they're not necessarily paying full retail price for the same hardware either. With enough discounts, provided through contract OEM to supplier/development company, this can help cut down costs...

I wouldn't personally suggest anyone ask Sazar about any of this, as such business agreements, contracts, or partnerships, are not always the sort of thing the respective companies might want to be common knowledge. Not being an employee, there isn't much that could be said wrt me, and as to the person I knew, she passed on many years ago in an unfortunate way. Nothing could be said wrt her either, albeit for many years afterwards, I still remained quite... Sazar is another story, and for obvious reasons would know things, his employer might prefer he gives no mention to. A web discussion, is not worth risking one's job on...

Oh, and BTW, on one that I don't think is kept under wraps, and to give an idea how this can work; Cisco can put some muscle behind their own certification programs; by offering companies a certain percentage discount on purchased Cisco hardware, if the company in question has hired a given number of CCNAs and CCNPs. Even a 10% discount (though I'm not sure of the exact %) on a 6000 series switch, can be a lot of mulah, and hence provide a certain incentive towards hiering some Cisco certified individuals... :D

Son Goku said:
provide a certain incentive towards hiering some Cisco certified individuals... :D

I should be one of those come friday. If i pass my test :)

It's a beaut looking PC DJR ! B4 my post got deleted yesterday I said as much.

:) and by newb I meant NEW !! ;) then I got into a flamy with kermy.

The posts that took over this thread and veered off course were moved, however, some users couldn't behave and that thread was closed. It can be found in General Hardware if you want to read it.

MS, I moved/deleted yours on accident.

Chief, did your new system ship yesterday?

@Mastershakes, thanks for clearing it up :)

@madmatt, yes it did :) w00t!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back