colin powell gone?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Perris Calderon, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

omg.. bush is gona kill us now..

3. buzzstpoint

buzzstpoint Computervitals.com Political User

Of course you can expect to see a book.... They all do that.. But look. powel has done many things in his term.. So say good some ssay bad. but that not the issue.

Not to worry there are many other waiting to get into his posisition. I feel there isn't going to be a HUGE change like some people are thinking there will be.

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Yeah interesting to see Bush's people drop like flys after his "relection". :D

5. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

I was thinking that too Xie...but i have be watching the news and havent heard anybody say anything like that.

6. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

This is common btw, almost all Secretary of State's last about 4 years, if that. Condi Rice has been appointed new SOS

7. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

so bush is gonna fight the war on terror with a set of new guys?
    why didnt they all quit before the election?

pppssssssst (that was a rhetorical question)

8. ThePatriot

ThePatriot -=[BOHICA!]=- Political User

Put in perspective:

Source:AP

The resignations are on a par with what other presidents who have won second terms have experienced.

In 1984, President Reagan named a new attorney general and new Treasury, Interior, Labor, Energy, Education and Health and Human Services secretaries. In 1996, President Clinton tapped new secretaries at State and Defense as well as Commerce, Labor, Transportation, Energy, and Housing and Urban Development.

9. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Its a stressful job, can hardly blame him.
    Take for example Tony Blair, if you look at pictures of him when he first took office he looked young and full of life, now he looks almost tired and ragged

10. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I am sure the passage of time has had nothing to do with his appearance :D

11. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

I just noticed this myself... So much for suggestions that Rice would replace Rummy. Quite frankly, with Powell (described as more of a moderate) going, and if Rummy stays; I think peeps can get an idea of what "changes" we can likely expect...

12. well here's someone else who couldn't take anymore of bush

13. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Cabinet resignations are far from uncommon. Some administrations have seen fifteen of them. It's just that they weren't scrutinized in the press as much. Good fact checking, j79zlr! Kids these days need to have better American Government/History classes.

14. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Very true.

15. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

I'll say right now that I haven't read the previous replies to the initial post on this topic...

Did anyone actually expect him not to resign during the second term of Bush?

Powell, IMO, really never did much during the the previous term and I wouldn't have been shocked to see him resign 2 years ago. I just don't believe he was the man for this position. I respect Powell but I never could see him in this role.

I don't think his resignation will really make a damn bit of difference [be it because he wished to resign or, as it usually works, he was asked to resign].

rotjong

16. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

After my last post I scanned a few posts...

Quite often and with much purpose people are asked to resign rather than being dismissed (ie fired). Do not take a resignation as a person not being able to take anymore of a President.

Of course you could have said this in jest but I can't know whether you did or not.

rotjong

17. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

Look at Reagan after 1 term in office. Look at Clinton after 1 term in office. This extends to pretty much every modern US President [as well as adminstration] or foreign leader. Any person in any high position will look the worse for it after a few years.

Leadership and stress takes its toll.

rotjong

18. Perris Calderon

powell made it clear a long time ago he was leaving after one term...this is his choice, not the presidents

rice is a terrible candidate for this position and any position

or did everyone forget that this women had the nerve to tell us "nobody could imagine an airliner could be used as a missle"

speaking on the presidents behalf and the inteligence comunity's behalf, she had the nerve to say something as rediculous as that!!!

this in the face of information that told her specificaly bin laden would be highjacking comercial airlines and using them as weapons with politcal and financial structures as the targets.

like a retard couldn't figure out an airliner is a missile

wow

she is also the same person that had the nerve to get front of Americans and tell us that the precise warning whcih told is an attack on our soil was sure to come was a "historical document"

this in spite of the fact that the two aids that wrote the warning told this president that this was a current threat of the highest regard, NOT historical

how she even remains in public office is a credit to the wealthy owned media that gives her a free pass, and protects everything associated with this president

do people remember this?...the entire defense community's "hair is on fire" as never before in their experience, and she makes beleive the intel was "historical"

now she gets a promotion...this gets better and better

19. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

6 total so far have resigned?
    Yeah, I also read somewheres that Powell didn't plan on staying the 2nd term. I also read that he wasn't asked to leave nor was he asked to stay.

20. Perris Calderon

he was asked to say that he would stay when he made it clear he was leaving

he said he'd think about staying

I can't wait to read his book...you know he strongly urged against a war on a second front

Bush ignored that advice...and here we are today