Circuit City Liquidation

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by American Zombie, Jan 17, 2009.

1. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Closing all stores in the United States and about 34,000 people will lose their jobs.

More Info

Well, maybe they will finally have a good price on something. :laugh:

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Really sad to see them go, now the only "brick and mortar" store left in my area (for computer parts/geeky stuff) is Best Buy. I expect there prices to go up. :(

3. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=6326174&page=1

4. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

You can still find good deals.
    When CompUSA liquidated from my area I purchased a DVD player worth over 100 dollars for 20 and a digital camera worth about 400 for 173.

5. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

6. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

People should post here if they get anything good.

7. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I am going to see if I can get a hdtv for a good price :)

8. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Watch out, those liquidation's generally mean the price is back up before Circuit City's competitive mark downs, so shop around for that HDTV. Most of the time you can get it elsewhere cheaper the first few days.

9. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

ill be on my way to my local one in a few

10. Xie

Yeah, the price always "goes up" before they mark anything down. I hate when people rush in the first few days and buy everything at higher then normal prices leaving nothing but junk for the "liquidation" prices. :(

11. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

yeah it was lame

12. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Time for a couple of HDTVs

13. trainmaster77

trainmaster77 Moderator Political User Folding Team

their liquidation prices arent anywhere near liquidation prices yet....and they probably wont liquidate most of their good tv's ..and they don't own them ... the manufacturers will simply go get them and haul them across the road to best buy and sell them at regular prices.

anyone is a fool to think Samsung will let their 5grand lcd's go for a hundred bucks when they are on loan to Circuit City in the first place (samsung is just an example for everything else in the store).

Sure ..you probably will see the lower end stuff get cheaper .. just dont get your hopes up.

14. Xie

I actually believe the liquidation company owns everything in the stores now right down to the store shelves and is going to try and get most money for everything they can.

15. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Those TV's are definitely not "on loan" they are bought by Circuit City to sell and make a profit on. To Samsung those TV's are already on the books and they don't care what happens to them, other than that they agree to provide customer service for their device since after all it is carrying their brand name.

The liquidation company owns all of the stock that Circuit City had, and Xie is right they also own the stores and the shelving and everything along those lines. I remember when Sharper Image went out of business, they were selling shelving, cases and anything they could put a price tag on.

16. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

Some friends want to go down to a few on Saturday to see what deals we can get. I have been looking for a high power two channel amp for my home theater. Mebey.

17. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

You are not going to find that at Circuit city. better luck at a boutique dealer, Carver, Sunfire, NAD...Not sure iof you can still find some around, but if you can look for Sumo.

18. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I can dream can't I? Samsung are like the best, and if I can find one for a couple hundred, I am going to take it ! lol ..

19. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

What about video games and accessories for game console's?

I dont see how they would really go down much in price if at all.

Then again I don't know much about Liquidation.

20. trainmaster77

trainmaster77 Moderator Political User Folding Team

and no ..big box stores DO NOT own most of their merchandise ... they do not own the music media (cd's, dvds ..ect) ..they do not own the electronics (tvs, dvd players, speakers, ect) either.

THey are all on loan via floorplanning... no store on earth has enough capital to invest 50million in inventory for each store... they don't sell the tv's .. the manufacturer comes and get them...actually most big retailers simply rent out their space to manufacturers to sell their stuff and get a commission for selling it.

you will find most stuff 10% off ... still well above the margin of break-even... now if you get to 40%-60% ... thats saying something ..and like i said earlier .. you will not find those good tv's ...they will have already been packed up and tranferred to another store like best buy or fry's or whatever.