cheap yet classy ties?

LeeJend said:
Muzik - striped on striped may be considered fashionable in a redneck, alternative sexual preference, ethnic honkytonk in Lubbock, but it won't cut it in a corporate environment in Dallas or Houston. (I can get away with the pin stripes because I'm in Fort Worth.)

That's interesting. The rules I posted are straight from a recent issue of GQ. I doubt that magazine publishes fashion trends from Lubbock. Stripes on stripes certainly aren't as fashionable for businessmen 40+ years of age, but I've definitely seen the combination on younger professionals... especially in the Dallas area on account of the fashion awareness there. Unless it's a very traditional culture, it's not abnormal to see this in a corporate environment.

Yes, but who controls your paycheck. The kids in the "overly busy" GQ outfits or the over 40 businessman. Prodj was talking about a business environment where it appears his taste has already been "challenged" by his management.

Save the garish stuff for the nightclub where it will get you laid, not for the office where it will get you screwed.

I think we're actually agreeing in a way, it just isn't very obvious.

Like I said, the corporate culture defines even the style of clothing that you wear to work. This goes along with what you posted. But along those same lines, some cultures welcome the "overly busy" outfits, and so there isn't a definitive answer as to whether or not something like stripes on stripes could fly.

It seems like the original argument was based more on a preference of style, not what prodj's boss has to think about his wardrobe. I think the thread has taken a bit of a turn. The basic lesson here is that stripes on stripes can be fashionable, but it's important to dress according to the culture and traditions of the company you work for.

Scientists rule! Jeans and t-shirts are acceptable in research environments, as long as you wear a sweet lab coat.

P.S. only narcs wear ties.

** um let me clear this up
my boss is the one who wore striped tie with striped shirt! LOL not me! and we all made fun of him!! then he's like blah blah blah GQ magazine said it was in style. and we were all laughing at him cuz it looked tacky. i guess some people can pull it offf and some can't but i would never wear both stripes

muzikool said:
Ha, Louis Vuitton is too trendy for me. :p

Like I said, Express has some awesome sales every month or two. I've got several ties from there that I bought for $10 each. I pretty much never buy anything from there retail because it's pretty much guaranteed that I'm gonna get everything I want on sale if I have a bit of patience.

$10 each :eek: give me some hehe. express rocks

Ohzopants said:
Scientists rule! Jeans and t-shirts are acceptable in research environments, as long as you wear a sweet lab coat.
It's the same with most tech companies too - Microsoft, Google, Amazon (among many others)...all casuals. And no lab coats needed either. :)

LeeJend said:
PS Marge, rest of the ladies, you've missed a golden opportunity to slam the guys here. Something along the lines of "all men talk about is their clothes".
What I was actually thinking is are you sure you people are male?? :speechless:

you tk maxx has some real nice ties. usually about $15-20 dollars and name brand stuff too.

Evil Marge said:
What I was actually thinking is are you sure you people are male?? :speechless:

Wondering where you got that picture of my body from, the one you are using on your avatar and signature file?

*rant*

I hate striped ties.
I only wear solid color shirts.
I won't pay more than $20 for a tie.
Double Windsor knots only.
The Filene's near me always has Jerry Garcia ties on sale for $14.99.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back