Building Your First Computer... ahh memories

Personal experiences in what not to do:

1. If you remove your BIOS chip (I don't know why I did, but I did) be sure to put it back EXACTLY the way you took it out. Putting it in backwards makes things very hot and smell very bad!

2. When trying to test parts and assembling a PC without a case DO NOT put the motherboard on anything that will conduit electricity (stupid aluminum countertops :mad: ) unless you have the lights out and a motherboard you don't want anymore. /looks at pretty colors.

But that was when I started in computers. I is much smartter now. :p

Originally posted by GoNz0
LOL have you tried wing walking on the B52 yet ??? i can make it for about 1 min 30 now b4 falling off and chuting down, then the trick is to drop the TNT where your gunna land and blow yourself up a few hundred feet again ROFL, try it
Will do, but have to find the source of my lag first. :(

Originally posted by jonifen
rofl... what exactly is that connector for anyway??

i built my first PC without any problems... it was my 2nd PC that I forgot about the jumper for the BIOS... kept getting a blank screen when I turned the PC on. Realised after 5 hours of thinking "omg, i broke it" that I had to set it :)

I don't know, but as said by someone, the wire started to melt and burn up real quick.

Oh, and, I bathed one of my computers before.

Old, old, 100hmz crap piece with a 1 gig HDD, and not much more, well, I got drunk, and took it apart, and decided it needed a wash, so I put it's clothes back on, the case and all, and put it in that bath, and turned on the shower for about an hour ( it rhymes ) and went to sleep on the toilet lid. Anyway, when I woke up the place had flooded, my feet were wet, and I went about cleaning the place, and ridding the bath of the water before it went downstairs to my neighboors.

I was still a bit drunk, I remember looking at the computer and smiling , then going to bed all wet and crap, from crawling on the wet floor.

Next morning ( no one home for 3 days ) I had a laughing fit, realiziing I washed it, insides and all, with soap and shampoo...because it was inside, although, I don't remember doing it.

Well, that's one thing not to do
:p

Originally posted by dubstar
nick, i see you've got a best friend named beer too :)

Nope, I don't like beer, my friend was Pineapple rum :p

Originally posted by Ziptrx
Will do, but have to find the source of my lag first. :(

Mate, put all the sound quality down in BF1942, I'm talking lowest everything, see if you get lag then!

Skazz

Originally posted by SkazzyUK
Mate, put all the sound quality down in BF1942, I'm talking lowest everything, see if you get lag then!

Skazz

Yup still have the lag. When ground fighting my fps drop to 7. :mad:

Originally posted by SkazzyUK
ouchies ! 7fps :eek: :eek:

What is ure pc spec?

Skazz

Gaming PC:
Soyo KT333 - latest drivers
750 Duron 100 FSB
1024 MB DDR
SB Audigy - latest drivers
GF 4 Ti4400 - latest drivers

Originally posted by Zedric
*points at 750 Duron*
That could be it I guess... :)

that's what I was thinking, until a friend of mine played it on his pc. Performance is better than mine. :(
His system specs are lower than mine. If I remember correctly he has a 600 MHz Pentium, 512 PC100, Radeon 9000 128 DRR, SB Audigy. :mad:

Ziptrx if its been awhile since your last format then that could be your problem. Spyware and left over drivers completely fux0r performance. I don't know what graphics settings your running on but with Battlefield sometimes it runs better on higher graphics then low, its weird.

My PSU went with my first box (this box, about 6 weeks ago) it was while i was playing unreal tourney 2003 and i thought it had got too hot or something cause i had no case fans at the time, but things worked out........ sort of

Originally posted by Tilmitt
Ziptrx if its been awhile since your last format then that could be your problem. Spyware and left over drivers completely fux0r performance. I don't know what graphics settings your running on but with Battlefield sometimes it runs better on higher graphics then low, its weird.

My PSU went with my first box (this box, about 6 weeks ago) it was while i was playing unreal tourney 2003 and i thought it had got too hot or something cause i had no case fans at the time, but things worked out........ sort of
It was a clean install of XP. I fixed it now. :D Just changed my refresh rate allowance in the con file. Now for some odd reason I can't play at 1280x1024. Doesn't give me that option, yet it I can play at 1600x1200. :huh:

aaaah... i remember when i was still a PC virgin... and when i lost my virginity it was beautiful. I lost it to a nice PIII 500Mhz, 64 Mbs of Ram, 20 GB HD, a Diamondmax Voodoo Banshee with 16 MBs on-board. Man she had a fine motherboard, an asus i believe, and an even nicer asus 40X cd-rom. Oh this was a good 5 years ago... and i remember it like it was yesterday.... ;)

Originally posted by Zedric
Another scare story. Several years ago I worked at a computer store (school kids in real work life :)). I built computers. The CPU:s were in a big safe. Evertime I touched the safe I got a huge jolt of static electricity. Same thing after returning to the assembly bench after getting a CPU. I realised only later how dangerous this was to the hardware... :p Didn't break one though. :)
if anything, the safe and workbench saved your parts. everytime you got zapped, the built-up electricity left your body and went into the safe or workbench (which was probably grounded).

besides, if you parts were in esd-proof bags, then nothing to worry about anyway.

Originally posted by taurus
besides, if you parts were in esd-proof bags, then nothing to worry about anyway.
They weren't. I held them bare in my hands! :eek: Those 486:s were built sturdy! :D

I think that house was a bit funky. It felt like the grounding was different in different rooms (maybe it was).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back