Building Your First Computer... ahh memories

Personal FUBARs:
If you for some stuipid reason take your CPU heatsink apart make sure you get it back together exactly the same... Nothing fried but was running the CPU at 75 C. The little spring clip has the bend off center. The bend needs to be right over the cpu die or the heatsink sits tilted not cooling adequately!

Putting the heatsink on requires some practice. I chipped the edges of the AMD CPU(s) a little on my first try. They still worked fine, even over clocked, but man was I scared.

Horror stories from frined(s):
Screw driver slipped when pushing down on the heatsink clip, scraped motherboard and damaged it. I use a small pair of needle nose pliers to set the clip. And make sure the clip and tab are fully engaged or tab can shear/clip slip off.

Plastic tab on CPU socket sheared off about 20 minutes after install while the system was running. Fried the CPU and the motherboard (literally). May have been a defective socket... Get a fan that uses all three plastic tabs on each side of the CPU socket.

Avoid any fans that run over 5200 rpm they sound like jet engines. I keep getting free fans from friends who can't stand the noise. (I put a voltage drop resistor in and run them slower :)

If you are going from an AT style to the new ATX style case/PS be warned you have to have the case power switch plugged into the MB or the power supply won't start up. The case power switch providses a momentary pulse to the power supply to tell it to turn on. Also power supply will not come on unless it is plugged into the mother board.

Stories from the web:
Depending who you buy from you may get DOA or opened package equipment. Use www.pricegrabber.com to find vendors for what you want then check out the their customer ratings. Blow off anyone with less than 4 1/2 stars.

Make sure of what you're ordering. OEM stuff is fine but may not have all the cables and hardware you need.

also i had a mate that was pissing around in his computer while it was on he had a shock and his arm was shaking for 2 days now he alway unplugs :D :D and no he werent stoned he was lazy and couldnt be bothered to unplug his comp:cool:

heatsinks are the hardest part of a computer i think theyre so damn tight to get on and of and you gotta be careful not to do what you said or sheer a few capacitors off the mobo
or wreck the die on the processor, my hands get sweaty when im doining heatsinks which makes it harder

and also does anyones hands slitly shake when installing memory or cpu cuz mine do i dont know if its bad experiences ive had or the amount of caffeine im consuming but thats my computer phenomenon:) :cool:

Originally posted by XP Abuser
You Dope-heads should be no where near a computer

yeh and im a PC tech and engineer by trade... scary huh.....

Only a couple of bad times with building...

Once I got a dodgy case that had these weird tab things instead of screw holes for the offsets. First time around, no joy since they touched the mobo. No rubber washers available, so I took a peice of paper and covered the whole underside of the mobo. Since it was for someone else who'd never open the case again, it was alright. Last I checked it's still in operation, going on 3 years now.

The other time was with the old style PSU's with 2 plugs.. got it backwards. *ZAP* goes the mobo.

As as a friend discovered the hard way.. no matter how much force you apply, you cannot insert ram backwards. He broke the mountings for the ram and destroyed the stick of ram trying.

-JG

I have pushed ram in pretty damn hard but not that hard :D

DDR seems to be so damn tight even if it is the right way!

Skazz

You Dope-heads should be no where near a computer
:( Don't take away my joy. Nothing like being hazed and trying to fly a Cosair in Battlefield. ;)

"The US govt takes the one the thing, that people don't die from, and makes it illegal. People need to start dying from marijuana for it to be legal" - Bill Maher

DO NOT Flash Your BIOS in windows............oops :(

i wrote of my pc

I can flash my bios in windows :) Gigabyte dual bios!!! gigabyte lets u flash in windows:D

Yea krux got the same here with ma gigabyte, its well class feature of their mobos!

Skazz

Originally posted by Ziptrx
:( Don't take away my joy. Nothing like being hazed and trying to fly a Cosair in Battlefield. ;)

"The US govt takes the one the thing, that people don't die from, and makes it illegal. People need to start dying from marijuana for it to be legal" - Bill Maher

LOL have you tried wing walking on the B52 yet ??? i can make it for about 1 min 30 now b4 falling off and chuting down, then the trick is to drop the TNT where your gunna land and blow yourself up a few hundred feet again ROFL, try it

first pc I ever built was bought from OCZ with the intention of being over clock everything is tested and unlocked b4 its sent to you. so I had this duron 600 that could OC to 1.1ghz (not bad ehh?) anywho I put it all together (right mind you) everything was brand new evem the case. So I had everything and ready to go hit the power button and nothing!!:eek: fans didn't even turn on I didn't get anything. so after 2 days of woundering wtf was wrong, a friend of mine mentioned that he once bought a case and the lil dip switch on the back of the PSU was set to the euro power setting I was like nawwww it can't be something that simple so I went home and sure as poop it was flipped it over and it fired right up:p I still have that pc its called the Warrior on the network cuzz its been through some junk let me tell u.

Cpu has been chipped twice (still works but not at 1.1ghz anymore only 980mhz) its been droped, accidently kicked into the side of the desk which caused a head crash:huh: opps new hdd:p and after ALL that its still here so I named it warrior.

hey krux nice sig i thoguht she blinked at me or this talk of weed has started having an effect:)

hey krux nice sig i thoguht she blinked at me or this talk of weed has started having an effect:)

yup she blinks I made her last night :D

I have only built 2 pcs and the first I had a lot of help with from people who knew what they were doing. But nonetheless, we had one little problem w/ it b/c by default the bios had a password. Well obviusly we did not know it and we couldn't find anything about it in the manual , so, easy enough to fix, reset CMOS and moved right along.

The second I did all on my own with a lot of help from my good friend Mary Juanna and amazingly enough I had absolutely no problems at all when I went to fire it up (the puter that is -- I did keep losing my pipe). I was freaked out the whole time I was putting it together though, absolutely convinced I was going to fv<k it all up. It also took me like 5 hours because I checked, double checked, rechecked and then checked all the connections.

Thermal paste is not necessarily a better conductor than metal. If you place two metal components together then they will not fit absolutely perfectly unless the are lapped together. There will therefore be a small gap between the two surfaces. The surfaces themselves will have oxides etc and the combination of all of this is that there will be a very large thermal resitance between the two pieces of metal. The paste is to ensure that there is no air gap and thus little thermal resistance. The METAL heatsink will work correctly and keep the CPU cool.

Thermodynamics is something I know a little about.

i flashed my bios in windows....using a live auto updater via the manufacturer's site.

does that count? :blink:

Originally posted by GoNz0
yeh and im a PC tech and engineer by trade... scary huh.....

No wonder tech support always tell people, "you'll have to restore your computer" LOL. I'd pick the easy way out too.

Originally posted by JohnnyGreb
As as a friend discovered the hard way.. no matter how much force you apply, you cannot insert ram backwards.
Really? :D

I built a new computer. Checking everything. Starting. Hmm... nothing. Trun off. Check everything. Heatsink ok, graphics ok, cables ok, mem... OOUUUCHHH!!!! HOT!! Wtf? *doh!* backwards...

This was SDRAM. And it had snapped into place. And it was probably the 10th or more SDRAM computer I had built. I still don't know how i did it. Luckily the RAM and the computer survived. :)

Another scare story. Several years ago I worked at a computer store (school kids in real work life :)). I built computers. The CPU:s were in a big safe. Evertime I touched the safe I got a huge jolt of static electricity. Same thing after returning to the assembly bench after getting a CPU. I realised only later how dangerous this was to the hardware... :p Didn't break one though. :)

hey Gonzo, ur a pc techy? that's cool, but i know something cooler.

Instead of having to take my NOCTI test or however the thing is spelled, i might be able to take my A+ test for FFFFRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back