bring gas prices down {no joke}

muzikool said:
From what I've heard, estimates are that this oil could supply the U.S. *at its current consumption* for 500 years. I've also heard that this is 2-4 years away if the ball starts rolling.

If its too good to be true...

Just found this thread and haven't read the entire thing through so I apologize if this is out of context but I've seen people mentioning a lack of oil, depletion of resources etc. Well I just watched our noon time news here and they just reported that currently the oil companies are sitting on more product then they have had in the last ten years, and prices are higher then they ever have been. I under no circumstances believe that our oil supplies will last forever, using the excuse that we are running out of oil, or that a middle east country is going to cut us off, just to jack up prices is just that, an excuse.

Exxon profits are up 7%. It may be a record, but a lot of other companies are posting higher profits. Microsoft is up 13%, Pepsi is up 12%, a lot of auto makers are posting record profits, and Britain's Tesco is also posting record profits.

Maybe this is just a good time in the world's history for productivity and moneymaking. Exxon's 7% seems paltry in comparison. Plus, even with gas at triple the price that it was 20 years ago, they're still giving us a heck of a deal compared with what other developed countries pay for their fuel.

Still, though, I want to cry at the pumps sometimes! If it gets bad enough, people WILL start doing without, and the oil companies will be forced to lower it.

Last edited:
Petros said:
Exxon profits are up 7%. It may be a record, but a lot of other companies are posting higher profits. Microsoft is up 13%, Pepsi is up 12%, a lot of auto makers are posting record profits, and Britain's Tesco is also posting record profits.

Maybe this is just a good time in the world's history for productivity and moneymaking. Exxon's 7% seems paltry in comparison. Plus, even with gas at triple the price that it was 20 years ago, they're still giving us a heck of a deal compared with what other developed countries pay for their fuel.
this is corporate marketing intended to get middle America to go along with the policies that fly in the face of their own interest

oil is not the American oil companies comodity it's the American peoples commodity, especially the oil they get from our land

it would be the same thing as providing water at record breaking profit

that's the first thing

the second thing someone tell me what kind of person forgives the royalties these corporations owe to me and you when they are posting the largest profit in the history of planet earth?

Last edited:
What is usually overlooked here is the fact that we have so many environmental laws that it is impractical to build new refineries and to drill in ANWAR. ANWAR holds a lot of oil, and I still believe that is our trump card, we didn't build that pipeline for what it is being used for now. The real problem lies in the fact that the oil companies are refusing to build new refineries, out of greed, and out of the fact that environmental restrictions make it so extremely expensive. I am not saying we should remove restrictions, but at least ease them enough to make it a profitable move for big oil. Those extreme restrictions are why we have all but lost the steel industry in this country.

j79zlr said:
What is usually overlooked here is the fact that we have so many environmental laws that it is impractical to build new refineries and to drill in ANWAR. ANWAR holds a lot of oil, and I still believe that is our trump card, we didn't build that pipeline for what it is being used for now. The real problem lies in the fact that the oil companies are refusing to build new refineries, out of greed, and out of the fact that environmental restrictions make it so extremely expensive. I am not saying we should remove restrictions, but at least ease them enough to make it a profitable move for big oil. Those extreme restrictions are why we have all but lost the steel industry in this country.

What is ANWAR? Alaska? Also there aren't any new refineries because US oil production and discovery peaked in the 70s. If there aren't any new oil fields to exploit, there aren't going to be any new refineries.

j79zlr said:
anwar holds enough oil for six months, mining in anwar offers no solution what so ever, it just gives more of America to corporations and it's another corporate myth big business tries to promote so they can steal more of our treasure...this marketing is working I guess

in addition, corporate America tries to convince us clean air is the problem...people fall for marketing strategy and I just don't understand that one bit

environmental laws protect our children and the companies that want to dump their garbage in my air without cleaning it up make believe this is an issue

I remember when you could see the smog in New York and California, thank frigging goodness for environmental laws which were put into place that changed that...corporate America is now trying to rescind those laws and this marketing strategy seems to be working.

there is only one reason we have an oil problem and that is because we have not explored alternative energy solutions which abound

we must take whatever money we are giving to big oil and invest it in ourselves, not them, we must become oil independent, crapping up the environment to make oil is not the solution

Last edited:
Perris, I am not for revoking all EPA laws, the problem lies in the fact that the old refineries are getting expanded, to get around the EPA requirements, we haven't built a new refinery since 1976. It is actually quite scary how much this parallels the steel industry.

I am also not talking about revoking emissions laws that affect smog, just the stringent restrictions placed on new refineries as opposed to the more lax ones that affect expanding exisitng refineries.

I would favor the windfall tax that democrats are pleading for, except for the fact that increase oil companies taxes exponentially will just increase what we pay at the pump exponentially.

There are also some economists that say that the quicker oil hits $100 a barrel, the quicker it goes back down to $20. That is only true if the oil companies actually invest in new exploration [which is held back by current environmental laws] instead of just reaping huge profits.

well, I think we might agree somewhat j79, however I don't want to explore or drill anymore in America, there are no real good reasons to do it except to provide some profit to a few of the richest people on the planet, the resource is finite and won't last us long no matter what we do

as far as "ecomomists" that say "oil needs to hit 100 bucks to then go down to 20y, I would say they are under the thumb of the oil industry and I'd like to see someone that dissagrees with me on that statement

oil will only reach 20 (it was 18 dollars a barrel when the president came into office) when we stop buying it or when the president puts in a windfall profit tax

a windfall profits tax doesn't change the price of goods because raising the price of something to accomodate the tax makes more profit and threfore more tax not more profit, they would rather lower the price then pay the windfall profit tax

here's what a windfall profit tax really does, (which corporate America doesn't want you to know about)

it forces those companies that have an obscene profit to re invest that profit back into their own company for physcal growth, research, etc, or they can invest in another company too, which makes their profit a non issue since it no longer exists

bing

this is friggin great for the American economy and great for the corporation at the same time, but individual greed makes the people that run the corporation think it's better for pay themselves that money and put itnot their own bank accounts in the form of 500 million dollar bonuses which they will spend overseas.

this is something corporate America doesn't want middle America to know about...windfall profit tax is win win for the corporation and for America, corporate officers are the only users, they don't get their 100,000 dollar a minute salaries or their 500 billion dollar bonus taxes paid.

in addition, most people don't realize this but the price of oil is actually rising becuase we are printing so much paper our money is becoming worthless, this is one of the prices I told you we would be paying for borrowing as much money as we have borrowed from other countries

I want to develope renewable sources for that same investment it would take to dig in new oil fields and then cleaning up their garbage

do you dissagree?

we have wind and tide to develope, VERY promising is liguid coal, already a proven performer, solar is not yet econimical but that's what research is there for, we have natural gas and vetable sources, this would put strength back to the heartland, the American farmer...a much better idea then strength to the saudis

in addition, why are the royalties the oil companies are supposed pay for the prividedge of mining our resource being returned to them?...that's rediculous

do you agree that's a problem?

Last edited:
I was watching CNBC last night and they said we have now have more oil in reserves than ever before. There is also a test being done by shell in Canada to obtain sand oil.

I think the facts speak for themselves in the most part though. And, I think it's time we go back to the horse and buggy days ... Now where is my pooper scooper ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back