Athlon XP Unlocking

They have a cure for that heat problem too LOL , thats why they got watercooling :cool:

I am addicted , and I dont want to be cured , I dont think I will ever be satisfied. But it really is a learning experience and a healthy habit , could do a lot of worse things thats for sure :)

a cure for the heat problem would be my AC but I don't want a 400 dallor power bill do you? :)

Originally posted by Krux
a cure for the heat problem would be my AC but I don't want a 400 dallor power bill do you? :)

Move to the UK m8. It's nearly always overcast/raining here so your temperature blues will be gone!.
(Plus we don't need AC 'cos it's hardly ever warm enough......
Wait...hold on....:p another option would be to fork out for slightly better equipment and forget the £400 bills:rolleyes: )

Bah!...Forget England, I wanna come live where the sun shines and you can go out in it without squinting cos it's unusually bright.
Where when the sun does shine, you can still breathe 'cos you're not suffocating with the humidity.......How much was the AC bill again? :D lol

HAHA that was great and I have really good air cooling err had I switched over to the Shuttle Sn45G which has heat piping in it but other then that computer stays around 45c to 50c and this is in a 90+ degree room in a little cramped box :)

I really can't talk! :eek:
We're having somewhat of a heatwave at the minute. It's raining here for the 1st time in days, and Man! are we paying!. You can barely breathe it's so close/muggy/humid (take ya picki ;))
My CPU currently runs at 53-56 degs and that's with 2 room fans and the window open. Normally it sits around >35/<45 degs

Originally posted by Krux

Well thats why I bought a 12,000 btu A\C unit this year too was too damn hot :)

Originally posted by Erbmaster
I really can't talk! :eek:
We're having somewhat of a heatwave at the minute. It's raining here for the 1st time in days, and Man! are we paying!. You can barely breathe it's so close/muggy/humid (take ya picki ;))
My CPU currently runs at 53-56 degs and that's with 2 room fans and the window open. Normally it sits around >35/<45 degs

you should really consider moving further up north to scotland or over to scandinavia :D

they have lower temps there... ergo better for your computer :)

im in scotland and its nice and hot here too well about 28C ish. Oh and my CPU runs at 29C when playing games n stuff!! :)

Al

Heheh It was about 33 deg C here the other day hotter than las Vegas on that particular day! And i live on the coast sea breezes et all! Still the basic question was how much success people had unlocking their cpus :rolleyes:

Sorry to go off target there indy, looks like we got into a global temperature chart ;)

I've never clocked my XP 'cos it's a 2100 palomino, and as has already been mentioned is not worth the effort for the gain.

I read somewhere that you can get an XP1700+ chip to run @ over 2GHz (real clockspeed not AMD's reference speeds) stabley without too much work. I guess really though it depends on a lot of factors i.e. BIOS capabilities, CPU core revision, stepping number, memory/system FSB, Cooling etc. etc.

I've never tried it personally but I have a friend that did it the old
fashioned way using a pencil to bridge L1, and he got really good
results, and he still uses the chip some 3 years later.

Nowadays AMD are wise to that and have removed some of the organic material to create pits between the points that could previously be joined with a graphite pencil.

Several methods are now available to circumnavigate this issue so I guess it's case of choosing a method and going for it. Given that you have a XP2100+ Palo too, is it really worth it?

Chips/Mobo's are coming down in price all the time. Maybe stick with what you got for a while longer, save them pennies, and upgrade when you can. Research the chip you wanna buy. Several different cores produce varied results dependant on voltage use etc.
Hope it works out for ya....Good Luck ;) :D

Cheers Erbmaster i found the global weather funny too. I know the cpu situation and also realise my FSB of 266 (DDR2100) is a bottle neck :( . Its just that i am going to buy the THERMALRIGHT SLK900 heatsink where you have to take the mainboard off and everything so i thought as i am doing that, to bridge the laser cut holes and pull a few more mhz out of the cpu. :eek:

Can't blame ya there. Any extra speed is good :D

I only bought the palomino core as 2100Mhz is the max my mobo would manage (or a 2000Mhz thoroughbred).
My 1800 committed digital suicide in a pact with mu PSU so I needed a chip.

I spent weeks trying to find a supplier that would sell me a "B" cored thoroughbred (not fob me off with an "A" core substitute. I got bored waiting.

I wanted a 2000 thoro not another lower clocked palo (which would've been more difficult to o/clock anyhow).

Alas I got fed up waiting so went for the palo 2100, and would you believe it
A-Bit revised the BIOS a week after I installed it! :eek:
I could in theory now try an O/C, but the chip is about at it's limit anyhow,
plus I don't need anymore volage pull (Palo's require .10-.15 extra volts dependent on the core revision/stepping over Thoroughbreds)

If ya manage to squeeze any more juice out of it and it's stable
Plz post back and let me know. I'm curious as to how much potential is left in the chip. ;)

am i the only nerd with central air? LOL and i even live in a country that is almost winter all 7year. very intresting LOL

By "central air" i'm guessing you mean air-conditioning? or is this a typo for a Mohican haircut :p
I was gonna ask why you need it with all that snow, but then I
saw you're sig!. Nice setup m8 :D
Ya probably need all that air-con to cool that beast down when it gets hot!

yea

and here central-air is both, heating in winter and AC in summer enev tho summer is short lived, but even tho the rest of the house is cool in the summer my room is still hot with this beast

Well I decided to try unlocking it anyway though i used epoxy instead of superglue (as i was worried about the superglue). I then bridged the L1 contacts using silver rear windscreen repair fluid and just to be sure i covered the square with high temperature flash tape.

So we shall see later in the week if this has worked as I am currently in the midst of a massive rebuild and the computer is in a million parts! Thanks for you help and i will report back on my findings! :)

got the 1700 t-bred B. and its running at 2000mhz now because of the global warming everyone is having. temps are at 40c now. when it was cooler had it set to 2100 being very stable too. We are finally having some decent weather he in Southern Cali. for about 2 weeks was muggy as hell...felt like florida.

TROGDOR!!!!!

~edit~ sorry just kinda slipped out :) so yah let us know :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back