Athlon XP Unlocking

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi has anyone had any success in unlocking the multipliers on their athlon XP processor. I remember reading a guide sometime ago which involved super glue and heated windscreen repair fluid, though it was some time ago.

you can buy unlocking kits for like 8 bucks on certain online stores like newegg.com

Originally posted by Krux
you can buy unlocking kits for like 8 bucks on certain online stores like newegg.com

they sell a contraption that actually does the unlocking for you... its like a shim except it sits and connects the laser cut pits... you can set the various settings using jumpers on it... can't remember what its called... but I saw it online last week @ a tech site... they said it worked well...

haha thats cool, most of the higher xp's are already unlocked or the board will bypass the lock on the cpu its mostly for the first gen xp's I think.

Any Athlon XP based on the TbredA/ TbredB / Barton core will automatically be unlocked in the BIOS of nForce 2 boards, and most KT400 boards.

The palomino is the hardest one to unlock. www.tomshardware.com has an article on it. Do a search for overclocking the athlon.

I saw the adapter SAZAR was talking about I think it should be $10-20 USD and I think it said it works for the palomino also.

If not and you have the palomino the toms approach is cheap but tedious. Involves super glue, scotch tape, windshield defroster repair kit, sharpened tooth pick, magnifying glass and steady hands.

I did my palomino.

Obviously I would have to have a palomino core just to be a pain! I dont really need the shim as my motherboard supports full multiplier control. I shall have a look through tomshardware for the guide. This will be put on hold though for the moment as my cpu sits at 63 deg C at idel (mind you its 29 deg C room temp at the moment) and I am saving for my new thermalright cool (as discussed on another thread) cheers all

Originally posted by Goatman
Any Athlon XP based on the TbredA/ TbredB / Barton core will automatically be unlocked in the BIOS of nForce 2 boards, and most KT400 boards.

Sorry thats just not true look at my sig to see my specs this board and there are others need the wire trick to unlock the clocks I wired mine this morning :)

The choice of clocks was in the bios but nothing under the preset 13 would work I wired it and I have clocks from 12.5 x and down

:)

edit dont look at sig lol the MSI K7N2G-L was what needed the wire this one dont :cool:

Indy

I just looked at your spec's. If that XP2100 is a Palomino and the processor you want to unlock, don't bother. The best you might get with a palomino is 2200. The design fries at that level, something like 75 watts. Even with water cooling you're stuck.

Originally posted by Goatman

not true... can't be unlocked if they are laser cut w/o some form of bridging :)

Like I said I did the wire trick this morning had no choice there was no way to bootup with any other clock setting, and I made sure of course and asked on the Msi forums and the Amdmb.com forums and, I ended up doing that wire trick, glad I did too cause now I can crank up the FSB and take full advantage of my 400mhz dual channel ram, right now I got it at 188 fsb, and will run prime 95 overnight, and burn her in at this level and then increase a few notches and again burn it in at each new level till she is primed :D

Edit gave the MSI K7N2G-L to my son :cool:

Originally posted by Kermit
Like I said I did the wire trick this morning had no choice there was no way to bootup with any other clock setting, and I made sure of course and asked on the Msi forums and the Amdmb.com forums and, I ended up doing that wire trick, glad I did too cause now I can crank up the FSB and take full advantage of my 400mhz dual channel ram, right now I got it at 188 fsb, and will run prime 95 overnight, and burn her in at this level and then increase a few notches and again burn it in at each new level till she is primed :D

good on ya :)

keep us posted on your results... :D

what are you using as cpu load to burn it in ? sisoft sandra burn in ?

I am using prime95< 24/24 for next few days and sisoft sandra < different burn in runs at different times and of course 3dmark2001se <here are there .. but prime 95 is gonna be running 24/24 for the next few days , and at the same time I will use sisoft .. up till now under full load nothing went higher than 47C and my ambient temps are high its very warm here right now, but I am not worried about the cooling,its the ram that I want to stress and the cpu , nforce boards are fussy with ram :)

Originally posted by LeeJend
Indy

I just looked at your spec's. If that XP2100 is a Palomino and the processor you want to unlock, don't bother. The best you might get with a palomino is 2200. The design fries at that level, something like 75 watts. Even with water cooling you're stuck.

I was only gonna knock it up to maybe 2200+ because the types of cjips my m\b takes past then becomes sketchy

hmmm ok the guide just made it look easy and i thought why not to gaining (even though it may only be a small amount) some mhz.

Well I got to warn you the overclocking monkey is something that when it finds a home on your back he will be with you forever LOLOL , hey who am I to say do it or not , you know if you feel up to it , you should do it then because its a learning experience and it will give you a chance to fiddle and fudge things up :D

I started to overclock on my duron1100 and I was hooked, I did the same to my Athlon 1800 , The duron my son has it today and it is still running fine , I sold my Athlon 1800+ with 768mb ram and a 30gig hd, Just got this I gave it 3 weeks of normal use , to find her setup, you know how it is all machines need to be set up a little different, and now I am at it again HAHAHA the monkey is back with a vengence

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sazar
not true... can't be unlocked if they are laser cut w/o some form of bridging :)

I bought 3 2500+ bartons and they were all unlocked

Originally posted by Kermit
Well I got to warn you the overclocking monkey is something that when it finds a home on your back he will be with you forever LOLOL , hey who am I to say do it or not , you know if you feel up to it , you should do it then because its a learning experience and it will give you a chance to fiddle and fudge things up :D

I started to overclock on my duron1100 and I was hooked, I did the same to my Athlon 1800 , The duron my son has it today and it is still running fine , I sold my Athlon 1800+ with 768mb ram and a 30gig hd, Just got this I gave it 3 weeks of normal use , to find her setup, you know how it is all machines need to be set up a little different, and now I am at it again HAHAHA the monkey is back with a vengence

:rolleyes:

u make it sound like your addicted.... get a grip man!!! :D
where I live you can only OC during the winter because outside temps range from 105 to 115 during the summer.... and thats just not healthy.... for anything including me! so OCing is seasonal here :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back