at least it wasn't a bald eagle...

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by muzikool, Aug 3, 2004.

1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

News is a bit old, but...

Thousands of evacuees kept a wary eye on a brush-fed wildfire that forced them from their homes north of Los Angeles as temperatures rose and humidity plunged on Monday, fire officials said.

Fire officials traced the blaze's source to a red-tailed hawk that apparently was electrocuted by power lines and fell to the ground, igniting brush that has not burned since 1962.

2. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

ok? how in da hell does a electrocuted bird start a fire? i mean was it on fire or somethin?

3. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I think you're on to something... ;)

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

lol @ muzi. yep. he must have consulted with NASA on that one.

or.. Maybe the hawk drank a gallon of gasoline before hitting the powerlines, and when it hit the ground, all the air in it's tiny lungs let out, as well as some gas fumes, and it turned it's beak into a mini-flamethrower. :/

5. Tittles

alright ha ha...i guess u all missed what i was saying

6. ElementalDragon

not much to miss there. did u have a hidden message if it was read backwards?

nope, nothin that i can read.

*feels like he's being such an ass, but it's funny as hell*

7. Tittles

i ment as in how did the bird catch on fire? i mean come on if i flew into power lines i wouldnt catch on fire...or would i? (dog with shifty eyes)

8. ElementalDragon

ok... let me put it this way..... it's not like it somehow licked a 9 Volt battery. we're talkin pretty beefy power lines. plus all the heat generated inside the bird's body, and all the feathers on the outside holding in pretty much heat.... feathers go *poof*. it's not like they're fire resistant.

9. Tittles

well...birds r gay!!! :p :)

10. ElementalDragon

....you almost got me to say something that.... well..... i should have...... but i didn't. lol.

Interesting comeback though. :-\

11. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

please try it for all of us :cool:

12. ElementalDragon

don't say that. he just might. *thinks* what game do you think his parents might blame that action on? Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004?

13. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

dont powerlines have insulation built around them so that it doesnt do that. I have seen birds sitting quite happily on power lines and I havent seen any of them seemingly spontaniously combust. So unless its talons broke through the insulation or it bit down on the cable itself, I dont really understand how the bird could have possibly caught fire.

14. ThePatriot

ThePatriot -=[BOHICA!]=- Political User

Yes, they do have insulation, but it can crack and come off. If you look close enough to all the dead birds and squirrels on the roads, you see that most of them are not flat at first...i.e. thay didn't get run over, they got zapped on the power line and fell to the road. And yes, if it's a powerful enough line, they can flame up. And yes, TittleBitties, if it we're a very high tension line, you would too...please don't try it. :p

15. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

Insulation or not, how did it get zapped when it wasnt grounded :confused:

16. ThePatriot

ThePatriot -=[BOHICA!]=- Political User

Dunno how, but I saw it happen to more than one squirrel on some very high power lines at a building I once worked at. Sometimes quite a poof. Noting but fur left.

17. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

It hit both wires?

18. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

bird can only be electricuted if they touch more than 1 wire, they are safe on the wires because there is no ground conection. an eagle probebly has large enough wings to get in the way :p

19. ElementalDragon

yep. we could probably even hang from ONE wire and survive (though i'm not gonna be the first to try it.). but 2 wires, and u could consider yourself the new KFC.

20. Tittles

thank u...now do u all think i am stupid...what u all r talkin about is what i was tryin to get it. so dont be hatin dog :p lol