Anyone know anything about Motorbikes?

ahhhhh...well i cant help much with those kinda of bikes cause i am more of a trail purpose kind of guy but i will see what i can do :).

lancer said:
well ok i've got it down to three bikes.

The Kawasaki Ninja 500r, the Yamaha FZ6 or the Suzuki SV650S.

I moved away from the trail dual purpose, mostly because i'd be using this bike a lot and don't think they'll be good for day to day stuff.

go with the Ninja 500R... I'm a Yamaha man myself but I think the FZ6 is too much for ya. Suzuki, eh... But that's my opinion.

i think in a way you may be right gonaads, but the think is i want the bike to last say 2-3 yrs at least, and seeming i'm going to be financing it, i need to have something that will last, i don't want second hand and i don't want to have to sell the 500 in a year to upgrade. But i haven't sat on any of the bikes and who knows perhaps the 500 will be the best for me, i'll just have to find out, i'm going to the bike shop tomorrow to test them out and maybe pick one out, haha who knows i'll probably end up bying a chopper haha.

Good luck, buy what feels rite to you. Don't worry about if the 500 is too small. It could be all the bike you need for 5 or 6 years, ya never know. The one thing that is the most important is if you can pick it up... If ya lay it over, can you pick it up (straighten it up)? Now granted, they're not gonna let ya lay one over at the dealership. But if ya do get one and take it home or get it delivered. Lay a bunch of pillows and some thick blankets on the ground next to the bike. Now carefully lay the bike over onto the soft pillows and blanket. See all the cushion will protect the bike from any harm. Now pick it up (straighten it out). If you can do it without way too much huffin 'n puffin then the bike is rite. Some people go out and get one that is way too big and the first time they lay it down, they're screwed. They can't pick it up, no matter how hard they try they can't do it.

Oh and don't get a hernia tryin it. :eek: :D

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Make sure that there is someone else there to help in case ya can't. And if ya can't pick it up your helper will prolly laugh at ya. I'm kidding If ya can't pick it up, take it back and get a smaller one. :)

zeke_mo said:
The XR650L is geared for the road and thus you lose speed and low end power. I would just make the R street legal. It is a much finer bike.

I purchased an XR650L last year, and it was geared for the road. I went and ordered some new sprockets, and it has great low end power now. It was 15:45, but now it is 14:48. I am going to put a White Brother's pipe on it, and also a 4.0 gallon "desert tank." It is actually the tank that was on it about 10 years ago, when they were called XL600s.I am also getting a fender kit for the rear, to clean up the bulkiness. I want to drop the light assembly down, to give it a cleaner, meaner look.

It still goes plenty fast top end though. I had it top out at about 97 mph on a local highway where I live (Las Vegas, NV).

The XR650R is $600 more than the XR650L, but one thing it has that might interest others is that is is water cooled. It is also geared for the dirt. The sprockets aren't expensive, but a good investment. It costed me $38 for the two of them. The XR650L is the more affordable of the two, since it comes street-ready.

It keeps me happy, because all I want out of it is performance and wheelies. I can get the front up in third gear, so I am a happy camper.

I hope I was helpful.

Last edited:
My english teacher just got the KLR650 and he said he likes it alot. He hasnt rode in 10 years but he says its a pretty good bike. He got an 02' so i dont know if that will make a difference and you most likely got a bike by now anyway. I just got a XR250R last week from my step dad. He came home with a bike in his truck and i wasnt even expecting it. I love the sound of 4 strokes :) cept it is a honda :|.

No haven't got one yet still cant decide, i went to a dealership last week and looked at the KLR650, and god damn you need to be 7' tall to sit on the thing, they are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo high. How do you even get on without falling off?

I looked at the ninja 500 and the suzuki GS500F, and i have to say i really didn't like the GS500F all that much it was way too bulky for me, the fairings where too wide and the seat was too wide as well, not very comfortable and i just didn't feel intimate with it, but the ninja was the total oppisite, i loved it, it was smaller, but all the controls where easy to get to, easy to get on and off and the seat felt pretty comfortable. only thing the ninja has no fuel gauge at all, is there an after market mod you can get to rougly show whats in the tank. i know you can go by the mpg, but thats not too exact, especially when i first start out. I also looked at the vulcans and as much as i likes it, i kept looking over at the ninja, i've also decided to go 2nd hand/used, mostly because you get the same bike for way less money. So we'll see soon enough.

I was gonna go for my msf course but i've been pretty sick these last few weeks, so i need to take that first anyway, but i want to buy a bike beforehand, not to ride but so that when i do pass my msf, i have a bike i can get on and practise straight away, as opposed to possibly waiting a few months and forgetting the basics.

I also got on the xr650's but they again are just too big for me and i'm 5'9", so not a midget, i think i need more experience and confidence, before i tackle either of those.

Well you can always lower the bike too but thats not always a good thing to do. Ummmm...my english teacher is about 7 feet tall so maybe thats why he likes the KLR650 lol. I am sure that you can get an after market gas gauage for it just have to look around. I will look around for you right now...so umm what is the year that you want to get?

Probably between 95-2003, mostly because the bike will be more affordable secondhand/used then.

I would get the DR-Z400SM - supermotard. It's more of a racing dirt bike with street/trail tires and rims.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back