a good video card, not too $$$

Re: a good agp card not too $$$

Im a Mini-Nerd.
With the people i associate myself with, im a big nerd, with all of you, im a mini-nerd (compliment)

Cough, cough, You are, Cough, making fun of me, cough, when cough cough, im sick!

Ha the office, i get my vard today, but the mb was going to come in thur, wont be here till the 28th..kinda pissed

Still trying to grab my 1950pro agp. All out of stock for the 512mb version at the two places I trust.

Will be back in stock around the middle of Jan at which time I'll probably off-load my lovely and faithful x800xt AIW :cool:

I dunno what the going rate is, bout $100 might cover it and the zalman cooler I think. Will see :)

Hope you got a nice card there failur, should post some benchies and stuff.

Thanks for the help, but unfortunatly the Mb i had gotten was bad, so i sent it back and sold the video card i ended up getting.......BUT what is a low profile card? and is the geforce 6600 a bad card, would i want LP or a normal 6600???

Low profile is for ultra small form factor chasis. It is just half the height of a normal card.

If you have a regular chassis, you are fine with a regular card.

so there is no diference in quality? And now im looking at pci-e, the card is the geforce 6600 with 256mb of ram, its at best buy, does that mean the card has 256mb onboard, or will it use my system memory???

Should have it's own memory I would think.

The 6600 was an ok card in it's day but it is now several generations old. Buying a new one is a bad idea.

No plug in card will use your system memory.

Best Buy is badly over priced for video cards, for that matter all of the local stores are unless they have a great rebate or sale going. They just don't seem to be willing to discount video cards.

And ATI and Nvidia are currently being investigated for price fixing in the video card market. :)

yea ill have a mod change the thread title

leejend, thanks for that info, sadly im stuck with about $85 in best buy cards and might as well use them for a video card...

Ok, I'll look and see what they have. BRB

EDIT

The choices are slim. They used to carry a lot more selection. The 7300 GT is a much more recent card than the 6600 GT, not too bad, but at $130 it's kinda steep...
http://www2.pny.com/7300-GT-256MB-PCIe--P1895C14.aspx

What price did they have on the 6600 GT, $149?
http://www.bfgtech.com/6600GT.html

Of the two the 7300 GT for PCI-e is a better deal. The 6600 has a higher memory bandwidth but the 7300 GT can process textures faster and 256mb of on board ram.

It might be good to wait until Sunday when the January Best Buy sale comes out. Right now they are price gouging the "after Christmas" shoppers.

Also check their open box table. They may have had some returns where people did not like the card. Check on the return policy if you buy open box though.

Last edited:
Yea ill wait and check em out, im tryn to see if anyone i know is planning on buying from best buy, so i can sell them my cards for cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I usually offer a 10% discount off the face value tyo get rid of the things.

Hate them, hate them, hate them. Have 3 in my wallet now and one is over a year old!

No, the x700 and x1300 are useless at any price. The x1600 PRO is ok but over priced. An X800 would be ok as a used card, no new ones left.

What's the total budget you want to spend? There seems to be ok offerings in the $70-90 range now.

Avoid the X800GTO. Seems the gpu chip on it has issues with some games, a known design bug.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back