30 days before launch

X-Istence

Political Access
Hey there.

Currently i am at NYLF/Tech which is the National Youth leadership forum on technology, and microsoft's general manager of california stopped by. Laura Wallace. She spoke a bit, but then Johnathan N. stepped up to the stage and showed us a product early. We got to see this product in action before the general public.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/portablemediacenter/default.mspx

Is what i am talking about. It is the portable media center. It is really cool, what it lets you do is lets you listen to music, and store movies, and pictures on the thing.

80 hours of full quality TV shows and whatnot
100,000 MP3's
Battery life of 18 hours
and or a ton of a JPEG's

Anyways, he showed off the fact that it had album art, and what it could do. Now, when it came to the video part, i guess he was supposed to just show us a sample video, but everyone saw that he had the halo 2 trailer on it, and everyone just started screaming out Halo 2, and the guy being cool (more about that later) showed us the halo 2 trailer.

Johnathan was awesome. He was the lead project manager for developing this product, which was a product that some guy what worked for microsoft dreamed up. Basically, the MS employee had worked on it in his free time. He got it in Bill Gates's hands and bill liked the idea, so at the next tech show the prototype was shown, and people loved it.

So the team got put together, and money was granted (Close to 9 million USD) and he was made project manager. He told a little about himself and what he had tried to do as a kid, one of the things was open up a lemonade stand, but instead of the standard ingredients, he wanted to add some crack. This made the entire hall light up and start laughing and clapping. He continues and tells us how he got through school, and some more witty things, and that is when the presentation start.

We then had Q&A and Laura and Johnathan both got questions, quite a few came from a very attacking stand point that Windows sucks. It was extremely bad, but the speakers stood their ground, and still kept saying Windows was the best :p.

Anyways. That was that, i hope i have not bored you. Note, the entire device runs Windows CE with a new shell that is modeled after the Windows Media Center.

wow sounds like something that has to be seen :cool:

Very cool.
grin.gif

We had Microsoft representatives come in to our university a couple of times last year to give talks and presentations. One of the people was the Corporate Vice President of Windows Engineering. He came and talked about Longhorn, but this was a while ago, so we didn't really get to see much. I'm hoping there will be a few more next year too...should have one in Fall at least, I think.

The specs of the device are awesome. 18 hours of battery life with a full color screen is really something. What was the approximate size of the prototype that they showed you? Also, was there any mention of an estimated release date etc?

Seems Windows CE is gaining quite a bit of importance lately. The video I linked to the other day also showed how CE is being used in their automotive project, which looks really neat too.

Hehe, so yeah...you didn't bore me at all. That was some interesting stuff. I especially like these stories of how someone's idea/dream can turn into reality thanks to funding from companies like this.
smile.gif

for video life it is 8 hours battery life, for MP3 it was 18.

The devices were small enough that they could fit in our hands. I tried the device out, and it works as well as you would think, it is responsive, not to heavy, and had a TV out connection to connect it to the TV.

8 hours eh? That's still damn good. Could watch a few movies back to back on an airplane or long road-trip.
Mmm, sounds like a nice little toy...something I definitely wouldn't mind playing with.
laugh.gif

yeah, i played with that one, as well as a few others.

Damn...I was wondering when someone was going to come up with a device like this. I always said that it would do well...now just as long as the price is right! My fear, of course, is that these companies will be looking to recover their costs too quickly and will be tempted to make it too expensive, and, thus, never achieve the popularity of the iPod.

My other fear is that they will be too DRM heavy and, thus, piss everyone off. The one thing I have to hand to Apple is that they created a DRM that really made all sides happy; restrictive enough to stop full blown P2P sharing, but enough so that people still felt relatively free to do what they wanted with the music.

But whatever...I'll be curious to see how these products are received when released!

Melon

Melon, the 20GB Samsung and Creative models can be pre-ordered from Amazon for $499.

$499 is decent considering what they can do, but still, that is too damn expensive for me!

I seriously would consider the Creative Zen player over the Samsung just on the size and shape of the player. Creative's layout has the buttons on opposit sides of the screen (Similar to the layout of the older Nintendo GameBoy Advanced handheld). Plus display dimensions of 3.8" on the Creative as to 3.5" on the Samsung. Both are excellent products though. :)

lol...he posted in the wrong forum!!! haha what a loser... :p :)

i say forum u say thread :) :p

o and X!!! u will be getting letter soon

TittleBitties said:
lol...he posted in the wrong forum!!! haha what a loser... :p :)

Ehh, what does:

drop from <titlebitties IP range> to an

do?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back