ZoneAlarm Pro problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Gouk, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Gouk

Gouk Guest

I just clean installed ZoneAlarm Pro and in the Program Control section I cannot see which programs are allowed to access the internet and which programs are not anymore, I could before.

Even if I manually add a program it still doesn't come up on-screen with details.

Anyone know why this is happening?

I did a clean install (v4.0.146.029) and cleared out all previous registry keys of ZoneAlarm Pro too.

2. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

In the program control section, select the Main tab and see what you have set for the program control level.

3. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Check the attachment.

I've been using ZoneAlarm for a few years nw and have never had this problem.

4. lechtard

lechtard Guest

When you did an uninstall did yo umake sure everything was gone and reboot the pc ???

There are probs with ZAP that makes you have to install it then uninstall it a couple of times at times .. You may even have to do *I hate to say it* a reformat,, I have v4.0.146.029 it installed no probs, I then took it out and put Mcafee Peresonal Firewall Plus in ... What you could have even done is just upgrade the one you have now ..

5. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

Click on the programs tab to see what programs have or do not have access.

6. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Have you not seen the attachment in the first post?

7. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

mmmmmmmmm Yes. You have clicked on the tab 'main' and not programs. :)):

8. Gouk

Gouk Guest

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Is ZA set to not accept new programs? I did not see such an option in my version but its 6 months older.

Try dropping the slider under main to low and make sure you have "no password" selected (lock on top of screen).

10. Gouk

Gouk Guest

I don't have a password set and whenever a program needs access to the internet the first time it asks with a popup bubble.

ZoneAlarm Pro has worked fine before, I don't know why it shouldn't now.

Even if I try to manually add a program with the Add.. button in Program Control it doesn't appear on the list.

11. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Hmm, when a program tries to access the internet, if I click the "More Info" button, I get this dialog.

Both of those components have access to the internet though as far as I know.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled ZoneAlarm Pro many times now and the problem still exists :mad:

12. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

The first snap you showed, it showed the 'main' tab clicked.

Try changing the skin to electric green see if that works.

You can always goto the zone alarm forums and ask them.

As for speaking (mailing to) tech support they don't bother sending replies, I sent them 4 and they have never replied.

NE wayz hope you find a solution soon:p

13. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

That's exactly what happened to me. Buggy program. Solution = use another firewall :)

14. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Problem fixed in latest ZoneAlarm Pro v4.5.530 :p

15. coathanger007

16. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Find me a program that isn't buggy. :rolleyes:

I've used several different firewalls for a good while (NIS, Kerio, ZAPro). I'm on ZoneAlarm now and I find it to be a quality firewall.

17. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Just to elaborate on my previous post, I did a "upgrade" over the previously bugged installation and all of the programs I gave access permissions or denied them appeared in the Program Control | Programs tab so everything is intact.

This new version seems very stable.

18. coathanger007

It's always stable after fresh installation. Let's see if it withstands the test of time :)

19. Gouk

Gouk Guest

It lasted over a year with the last installation with many upgrades to the latest versions (June 2002 - October 2003), it was the previous version which was problematic.

IMO ZoneAlarm Pro is the best software firewall.

20. coathanger007

Norton Internet Security also rock solid and non - buggy.