Xp wont install

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by djdazza, Mar 5, 2002.

1. djdazza

djdazza Guest

hello every 1
    just tried 2 install xp pro as an up grade (using win 98 se at mo)
    it starts loading fine says it loading xp comes up with the loading screen and then a get a fatal error message saying the parameters r incorrect on F:\1386\asms and cannot continue setup
    I am using a LG cd rw ced-8080b CD ROM to install
    Please Help Driving me mad

Dazza

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

Cant you live with a clean install ?. XP CD should have the file and settings transfer wizard. That will take all ur files etc, zip em up into a folder for you to transfer onto a nice clean XP install. upgrading isnt the best option around.

3. djdazza

djdazza Guest

Cheers Buddy will try that now. fingers crossed

4. eGoalter

eGoalter Guest

yea hes right

upgrading to xp causes a headache, ull save money on asprin and stress pills if you do a clean install, i would format, and start fresh.

5. SirLasher

SirLasher Guest

Ive never done a good install with upgrading.. its always better to do a fresh install... always..

pointing to the half full aspirin bottle from the old days of trying.

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

I was on the phone to a friend who had just got a <koff> corparate <coff> copy off me <koff> as he worked at the same <kofF> corparation as me <koff> ( I got to stop smoking) & I told him to use the upgrade as he wasn't sure on how to make everything work afterwards.
    Now as he has more money than me. He upgraded to a brand new custom built PC 1 month later & i traded my old PC for his and some £££ so his old PC wasnt wasted on young kids.. ( yey i got a nice hand built puter cheap.)
    After getting this PC and booting up... the HDD was clunking and banging about (poor thing) No amount of diskeeper defragging cured this. Then i found in add remove 1 day an uninstall feature to remove XP :eek: Its like adding a 550mb upgrade (service pack) and it made this PC run at a snails pace.
    From then on all i use is the file and settings transfer wizard after a format.

Only way to go in my books.

(excuse typos as im really really drunk:p )