XP Slow at shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Stonhnj, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Stonhnj

Stonhnj Guest

I ran a search on the topic and found some info, but none of it seemed to apply....

I just finished building a PC (my first build). It's got an AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 1.5G DDR RAM, 80G HD, ASUS MoBo.

On that I loaded the full (not an upgrade) version of Windows XP. Everything seems to run fine at boot up - time from my pressing the power button to being able to work is just shy of 30 seconds.

The problem I have is at shutdown, and I wanted to see if I'm being nit-picky. After logging out then clicking the "Shut Off Computer" button, it takes 20-25 seconds to shut down. Considering I don't have a ton of software on it, this seems like a long time, especially when compared to my PIII system running Me (and full of software), which is slow for just about everything else, but shuts down in about 6-10 seconds.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
  2. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

I belive that long of a shut down time is normal. I noticed it as well when I got my system.

On my Windows 98 machine shutdown is almost instantaneous (compared to XP). It takes maybe 3 seconds more or less.
  3. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

My shutdown takes about the same, I noticed if I switched off my USB printer and scanner & broadband connection, just before shutting down, it went abit quicker.

Obviously XP is recording any changes and shutting down all your apps.

Try having the taskmanager open and select processes display. Then pick shutdown from the taskmanager menu.. see whats holding it up.
  4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Midlands, England
    Windows NT keeps everything in order on your drive and will save settings etc at shutdown.
    unlike 9x which basically sends the shutdown signal and does it without giving a second thought so to speak.

in short .. xp takes ages to shut down :D
  5. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

disable unnecessary services
  6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Midlands, England
    Of course!!!
    I'd forgotten about services, they're gonna take extra time to shut down.
    Good call :)
  7. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Are you unloading dll's from memory at shutdown?
  8. Kaplunk

Kaplunk Guest

The long shutdown is due to XP xcleaning out the Swapfile evrytime it shuts down, if you tell it not to clean the swap file it will be quicker.... Not sure how to tell it not to do that but you can :)
  9. brummie

brummie OSNN Addict

Stourbridge, West Mids. UK
    Did ya run xp-antispy or similar tweaking proggy??
  10. Stonhnj

Stonhnj Guest

I haven't run any kind of anti-spy prog on it. I should mention, however, that the PC in question isn't connected to anything but a power source. PC, monitor, Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers. That's it. Not connected to the Net, no printers.

As soon as I shut down from the Taskmanager window, the window closes and I go to the "Windows is shutting down" page, where it just sits and cooks for 20+ seconds until it shuts off.

"Am I unloading dll's at shutdown?" I dunno. Whatever the default is, I assume that's what's happening.

I'm running between PC's trying these suggestions... (BTW Thanks a ton for them!) - looks like disabling unneccesary services has us on the right track - down to 8 seconds for shutdown. Here's a list of services I DID NOT disable - can any of these be disabled as well?

Automatic Updates
    Com+ Event System
    DNS Client
    Error Reporting Service
    Event Log
    Fast User Switching Compatibility
    Help and Support
    Plug and Play
    Print Spooler
    Protected Storage
    Remote Procedure Call
    Secondary Logon
    Security Accounts Manager
    Shell Hardware Detection
    System Event Notification
    System Restore Service
    Task Scheduler
    PCP/IP Net BIOS Helper
    Terminal Services
    Upload Manager
    Web Client
    Windows Audio
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    Windows Time
    Wireless Zero Configuration

Thanks again.
  11. anarkhia

anarkhia Guest

open regedit

search and change all "AutoEndTasks" to 1

search and change all "WaitToKillAppTimeout" to 0 or 200

search and change all "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 100 or 200
  12. syllinx

syllinx OSNN Junior Addict

What is that program?
  13. koko

koko Got Root?

Columbia, S.C.
    that shut-down time for xp is completely normal...

btw, why are you so concerned about how long it takes to shut down if you are turning it off and not using it anymore?

does it really matter if it takes 25 seconds or 25 minutes? why are you worrying about something that doesn't matter?
  14. makriVAG

makriVAG Guest

Ok, do this:
    Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and run the services.
    Scroll down and Disable the NVIDIA Helper Service. (Double click it and on the Startup Type, choose Disable.)

This is the solution for anyone runs any of Detonators, this service is useless and keeps time from any system that has nVidia card installed with the drivers, while shutdown.

Cheers ;)
  15. MeFo

MeFo el mafioso

Santiago, Chile
    the Messenger service can be disabled without worrying, unless you use it, i only get spam from it
  16. Fungiver

Fungiver Guest

www.kellys-korner-xp.com has registry tweaks that will improve shutdown time. I have XP HE with a 1.2 ghz processor and have gotten my time to 7 seconds to shut down. I have also gotten the bootup time to under 55 secs from cold start. Another good site for reg tweaks is www.dougknox.com