XP searches zip files....

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by meancode, Feb 16, 2003.

1. meancode

meancode Guest

...and this is an annoying "feature" is there a way to make it so XP does not search zip files? thanks. i dont see any option to turn this off.
  2. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

Found this at http://www.petri.co.il/disable_native_zip_tool_in_xp.htm

How can I stop Windows XP from showing Zipped files as folders?
    XP will treat Zip files like folders, which is nice if you've got a fast machine or if you don't have a registered version of a good archiving program (such as WinZip, WinRAR, WinACE and so on).

On slower machines you can make XP leave zip files well alone by going to the RUN command and typing

regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll

If you change your mind later, you can put things back as they were by typing

regsvr32 zipfldr.dll

This will also disable searching in zips.
  3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    If your issue is arising from using the xp zip utility then download & install Zip Genius. Freeware. Pretty good too. :D
  4. meancode

meancode Guest

JohnnyGreb - thanks for the fix. my issue is not with a compression tool its with XP searching the large zip files i have on my hard drive when i want to search the C drive. even with a 3 Ghz proc its an annoyence when i knew the searches could be a lot faster without searching zipped stuff.
  5. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

Not a prob! It's one of the first things I "fix" apon a new install of XP.. As I've got well over 20GB of zip files, It takes forever to do a search. I don't care what's in them, just what they are. ;)