XP rebooting

G

g1htl

I would imagine this request has been asked many times so sorry for boring everone with this request for information.
I have installed several pices of software which required a re-boot after which I did, but now the system will not shut down it keeps rebooting. I have to hit the switch off button as it trys to restart.
Any ideas any one ?

first stop the reboot

Ok well first thing would be to stop the rebooting, press and hold f8 as it boots up boot into safe mode, now if I were you I would uninstall whatever software your talking about, what software did you install? And also right click on my computer ( desktop ) properties , advanced , startup and recovery, you can turn off the option to reboot here and this will give you an error message thatcan be used to further help .........

isnt it wrong place for this question? not a lot of people gona look in here.

Thanks to those that made a reply to me, but I still have a problem.
I perhaps should have explained a little more all software works ok and the system run fine, its just when I sign of the machine, it just reboots instead of closing down.
I have un-installed all software that I installed just before I had the problem, but the problem persists.

I assume there is a file left some where that should have been removed after one piece of software had successfully installed.

I am unfamilar with XP so any thoughts or suggestions please.

try is this thing works. "tsshutdn 5 /powerdown " in run command. that should turn it off completely. but i'm not sure how to fix the over all problem that you got. maybe you should check MS site for this?

if u sb live remove it device manager and reinstall
go to start>>run>type msconfig
in services tab check hide all microsoft services and uncheck all non microsoft services
in startup tab uncheck everything and restart
and post what happens :D

It sounds like what is happening is that a service is crashing when you shutdown. and what windows does when a service crashes is reboot. Have you tried looking in the event viewer to see if anything is happening?

Thanks to all that offer advice and information to my problem.
The problem is no more.
I re-installeed the software and all now is working as it should

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back