XP rebooting

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by g1htl, Nov 13, 2002.

1. g1htl

g1htl Guest

I would imagine this request has been asked many times so sorry for boring everone with this request for information.
    I have installed several pices of software which required a re-boot after which I did, but now the system will not shut down it keeps rebooting. I have to hit the switch off button as it trys to restart.
    Any ideas any one ?

2. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

first stop the reboot

Ok well first thing would be to stop the rebooting, press and hold f8 as it boots up boot into safe mode, now if I were you I would uninstall whatever software your talking about, what software did you install? And also right click on my computer ( desktop ) properties , advanced , startup and recovery, you can turn off the option to reboot here and this will give you an error message thatcan be used to further help .........

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

yeh u need that bluescreen to get the error message up :)

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Did you install easy cd? If so get the update.

5. isnt it wrong place for this question? not a lot of people gona look in here.

6. g1htl

g1htl Guest

Thanks to those that made a reply to me, but I still have a problem.
    I perhaps should have explained a little more all software works ok and the system run fine, its just when I sign of the machine, it just reboots instead of closing down.
    I have un-installed all software that I installed just before I had the problem, but the problem persists.

I assume there is a file left some where that should have been removed after one piece of software had successfully installed.

I am unfamilar with XP so any thoughts or suggestions please.

7. try is this thing works. "tsshutdn 5 /powerdown " in run command. that should turn it off completely. but i'm not sure how to fix the over all problem that you got. maybe you should check MS site for this?

8. guru

guru Guest

if u sb live remove it device manager and reinstall
    go to start>>run>type msconfig
    in services tab check hide all microsoft services and uncheck all non microsoft services
    in startup tab uncheck everything and restart
    and post what happens :D

9. rettahc

rettahc Guest

It sounds like what is happening is that a service is crashing when you shutdown. and what windows does when a service crashes is reboot. Have you tried looking in the event viewer to see if anything is happening?

10. allan

allan Guest

11. g1htl

g1htl Guest

Thanks to all that offer advice and information to my problem.
    The problem is no more.
    I re-installeed the software and all now is working as it should

12. good for you. come back for more advices then :)