xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by randmdavis, May 16, 2008.

1. randmdavis

randmdavis OSNN Junior Addict

when loading legit system i can't get further than "setup is starting windows". board is a via 478 1.6 processor. tried different hard drives, using bios defaults and different dvd roms. any ideas???

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008
  2. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

A bad disk, not enough RAM, Video Card problem, connection on HDD or DVD Drive loose?

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Lack of adequate drivers. Make sure the BIOS is set for defaulk settings. Advanced settings may require drivers be installed that are not there during initial windows install.

tdinc likes this.
  4. Arniestan1

Arniestan1 OSNN Addict

5. randmdavis

randmdavis OSNN Junior Addict

tried all the above guys, tried new hard drives, dvd drives, 1gb of ram-sometimes it says that a file is corrupt, next time it will go on thru to setup is syarting windows but thats it. also using fail safe defaults in bios.

6. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

Have you tried different drives to burn the install disc on? Have you tried burning at a slower speed (16x for CD, 4x for DVD)? Is it in the realm of possibility that you try an ISO image of your install disc in a virtual computer such as the free VirtualBox and see if it fails there too?

7. gonaads

The media (CD disk) could be bad or the CD/DVD drive is dirty and is not reading it correctly. I use to have problems like this a long time ago doing Windows OS installs/upgrades. Get a CD/DVD cleaner disk and clean the drive then retry. I would sometimes go through 4 or 5 tries before it did the entire install to the end and the final boot up. Also, pull out everything non-essential and just have the HDD, CD/DVD drive and Video card connected No sound card no extra USB card no nothing else. Then retry the install. Also if the MoBo has built in video go into the BIOS enable it and yank out your Video card then retry install. See if it works.

8. gonaads

I also remember that if you had a SoundBlaster sound card installed in the first PCI slot it would conflict with the video card. I remember that you were to place the sound card in the second PCI slot to fix this. Now my memory is fuzzy on the details but ya never know.

9. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Liquid disc cleaner often does not remove scratch marks on discs, paste is a good alternative, if you have disc problems