XP Pro Upgrade Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DarkStar, Aug 24, 2006.

1. DarkStar

DarkStar OSNN One Post Wonder

Re: can't install XP

What's up everyone... This is my first time here at the forum. I hope someone can help me. I'm having a problem installing Xp Pro on my computer. I am currently running XP Home but I would like to change it to XP Pro. I went through the whole steps of Booting from the CD but it will begin to load the proper files but I would get a message stating that the "no hard drive is installed on your system". I did a Hard Drive diagnostic and a Utility diagnostic and everything is running properly. I tried installing again but I keep getting the same message. I have searched your forum for the answer but I have run into a wall and I have run out of options. I really don't want to reformat my drive. This would be my last option. Can anyone help... Thanks

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Thread Moved

Sounds to me as if Windows XP Pro doesn't have drivers included for your Hard Drive Controller. Is it a SATA drive, IDE, RAID?

3. DarkStar

It's an Serial ATA Drive

4. kcnychief

You should try loading drivers for your SATA controller onto a floppy drive, it is more than likely that XP can't see your hard drive because it doesn't have the drivers.

What motherboard do you have?

If you have a built PC, what is the Brand and Model number?

5. DarkStar

I have a Dell XPS Gen 4 system, I don't know what motherboard it has.

6. kcnychief

More than likely has a fancy SATA controller, might even be a SATA RAID controller.

Do you know your Service Tag?

7. DarkStar

It's HLMNV61... A friend told me that the Window XP Pro with SP2 didn't give him a problem and he has almost the same system from dell as I do and he installed the Xp Pro and removed the XP Home with no problem.

8. kcnychief

9. DarkStar

Thanks KC

I'll try it...