XP Pro Partition Questions

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mike89, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

I would like to upgrade to XP Pro (from ME) sometime in the future.

I currently have my first HDD set up into two partitions. 2.5 Gig on the first partition which has ME installed.

I have heard that XP should have at least 3 Gigs. I have also heard that during the XP Pro installation, you can format and partition the drives. Is this correct?

Could I change the size of the first partition from 2.5 Gigs to 3 Gigs? I am talking upgrade here, not clean install so I don't want to lose anything in the process.
  2. Ritchie

Ritchie Guest

XP does let you format/partition a drive but it won't allow you to resize or do anything clever [and more importantly non-destructively].
  3. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

Well do you think that 2.5 gigs is enough for XP Pro?
  4. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

i installed xp pro over the top of win ME with nothing installed (fresh copy).. immediately after install 2.2gb was used. i had 4 gb partitioned off, i resized it to 6gb to give some growing room.
  5. Ritchie

Ritchie Guest

I've given up on how much disk space windows uses, so i really didn't check. All i know is that I use one of my 30GB deskstars for windows and there is never any space on that drive ;)
  6. Romeo26222

Romeo26222 Guest

why not using powerquest partition magic 7.0 which support winxp and ntfs file system..it will resize your partition without data loss
    i hope that helps:D