Xp Mce

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by desie, Feb 26, 2006.

1. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

Hi I'm going to Uni in Sept if they accept my ucast application, I'm currently at college and have been doing a lot of presentations in almost all subjects to class.

I find I use my laptop a lot for presenting production work in my lessons web design, game design and screen based design.

I have a lot of media work, and photography I like to show as well. Would getting MCE be a good idea, and the remote is only £20. Would it work on my laptop (spec in sig) well?

However it does not have a TV Tuner, I don't need that, will MCE work without it? I have been google searching and on here and getting the impression it's a requirement, I don't need to show TV in presentations so it's not a requirement for me.

Thanks,

sorry if asked before, I couldn't find much concrete information through searching.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

MCE 2005 works fine without a TV tuner card. In fact, if I remember correctly, Dell sells a particular Inspiron notebook with MCE although it doesn't include a tuner. It does need a decent graphics card though, but I'm pretty sure a 128MB Radeon 9700 should be fine.

The IR receiver just plugs into a USB port, so there's no reason why the MCE Remote wouldn't work with the laptop either. :)

desie likes this.
  3. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

Thanks thats all I wanted to know cheers. My laptop really needs a gig of ram though, to bad I'm saving up for driving lessons :(

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I'm not a fan of Media Center.

5. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

Neither am I really but if it saves time in presentations rather than going to folders and such and instead using the remote it would make the presentation quicker.

6. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

They make special remotes for use with Powerpoint.