XP LAN issues

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by evilidin, Aug 11, 2009.

1. evilidin

evilidin OSNN One Post Wonder

I have a XP computer hooked up to a network which had some internet issues for the longest time. The issue would be sometimes during restarts the computer would not detect the router and other times I would get a perfect connection. Then sometime later the restarts would not help and I would just stop getting a internet connection.

I searched about the issue on google and found out that my computer had DHCP labeled off when I did ipconfig /all.

One of the solutions people brought up was that a network card could be installed and I could get internet from there, but that card does not detect any cables plugged into it.

I have the computers set up with a static ip, but with the old network connection I got the ip 169.254.x.x when I enabled find ip automatically.

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

reboot router and modem, if that doesnt help try replacing the card

3. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

Sounds a lot like my other, old XP computer, with its tempermental network connection to my router. Most of the time, I had to go to control panel -> network connections and disable the connection (via right-click menu) before the router gives the computer an IP address via DHCP.

I've never solved the problem, although I have a feeling it's the network card that's causing he issues.

4. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

umm... silly question - but do you have a DHCP server on the network?

5. evilidin

evilidin OSNN One Post Wonder

I tried reset but that did not work. I went back to the store and got identical card and end up with the same error.

The first connector was not a pci card but the new one is, if that might be a problem.

I just checked on a computer that worked and the dhcp is not enabled.