XP Installation

shooter1973

OSNN Junior Addict
What would be the benefit of FAT32 over NTFS? I thought I used it before & my system was faster?
Thanks guys...

fat32 can be read my dos, win3.x, 95 and 98, ntfs cannot. plus, ntfs gives you added capabilities on file encryption, etc. fat32 or fat should not be faster than ntfs. if you reformat a hdd, go ntfs if you don't dun any of the above OSes over a network and need to access this drive.

EJ ;)

Yep, the NTFS file system is a lot better, and more secure than FAT32. The only real reason you should use FAT32 has already been stated by Elroy.

I dont know of any real benefit of Fat32 over NTFS...

well, point out the main good points of NTFS, cause I was reading up on them like a year ago and for me it seemed that Fat32 would be better?

the last part there is the only part that would really applie to me. I forget exactly what it was, but I was told somethings like programs, and networking will not work? True or False?

a 25 gig partition is considered large - correct? there was a difference in performance level on small & large disk volumes.

shooter1973 said:
a 25 gig partition is considered large - correct? there was a difference in performance level on small & large disk volumes.

I would think so, plus, with ntfs, you won't run into the 4gb file size problem. important for e.g. dvd burning/extraction, amongst other things.

Elroy Jetson said:
fat32 can be read my dos, win3.x, 95 and 98, ntfs cannot. plus, ntfs gives you added capabilities on file encryption, etc. fat32 or fat should not be faster than ntfs. if you reformat a hdd, go ntfs if you don't dun any of the above OSes over a network and need to access this drive.

EJ ;)
The statement about the network is not true. You can access a NTFS shared drive over a network in 98SE (I tested it, but I doubt 95 and earlier will work)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back